PDA

View Full Version : thinking about getting a dog...

daryn
11-17-2004, 08:19 PM
haha.. sort of like the other post but dog this time. i'm looking for a dog, not too big, not tooooooo small. preferably one without long hair. something like a beagle maybe. what are some other beagle-like breeds?

Slacker13
11-17-2004, 08:30 PM
You could get a job at a kennel /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jack Russells are pretty cool small dogs, lot's of personality.

Boris
11-17-2004, 08:31 PM
lolol. great answer.

Alobar
11-17-2004, 08:31 PM
Just go down to the pound and look around. Not only are you "saving" a dog, but you aren't paying hundreds of dollars just for a dog. It's common knowledge mutts make the best dogs anyway. Just walk around until you see one you fall in love with, then take him/her home.

Boris
11-17-2004, 08:33 PM
Australian Shephards are pretty cool dogs. One drawback is that they are work dogs which means they have tons of energy. But since you don't have a job it shouldn't be a problem keeping your dog amused.

daryn
i'd rather actually pay a few hundred dollars and get a good dog from a breeder.

slacker, is that the kind of dog in the movie the mask? that dog is cool.

nicky g
Jack Russells are great.

daryn
11-17-2004, 08:47 PM
i have seen two types of these jack russells:

http://www.labradors.org/me1.jpg

http://www.labradors.org/prosper1.jpg

these two i can dig... but:

http://vovve.net/i2/Sveduddens/Bellagryn%20huvud%20sept.jpg

this kind just looks too hairy...

and this is the worst kind:

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/us/0302/fire.reax.gallery/2.jack.russell.jpg

MMMMMM
11-17-2004, 08:51 PM
Beagles are absolutely great dogs. They need their exercise though.

daryn
11-17-2004, 08:59 PM
yeah, i have plenty of time for that.

jdl22
11-17-2004, 09:15 PM
Both Beagles and Jack Russell Terriers are very high eneergy dogs so make sure you're ready for that. If you don't exercise them and give them something to do they will find something and that's usually not good.

There are also a few types of hound dogs that are similar to beagles. I quite like Basset Hounds. They are about the same height as beagles but have larger bodies and ears. Other than hounds you could go with a bulldog. They are much more low energy and inside than the others listed.

Here's a site I found, not sure how helpful it is: www.dogbreedinfo.com (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com)

Slacker13
11-17-2004, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
slacker, is that the kind of dog in the movie the mask? that dog is cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. They are very energetic dogs and a hell of alota fun but I have heard they chew a lot but so do most dogs. I personally have Chocolate Lab which is also an awesome breed of dog and very easy to train, problem is is my dog is now 137 pounds and thinks he weighs like 10 pounds. He also has head like a horse.

[ QUOTE ]
i'd rather actually pay a few hundred dollars and get a good dog from a breeder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea but go to the AKC website and research the breeder first. There is too many idiots out there over breeding dogs and you can have too many problems from an overbreed dog.

Slacker13
11-17-2004, 09:44 PM
LOL. Definately the top two, my buddy has the one second from the bottom (the hairy one) and alls it does is hide under the bed when people are around, I think that's a Russell Terrier (?).

Topflight
11-17-2004, 09:48 PM
Here is your boy
http://lostandfoundnow.com/Attach/4635-seaw.jpg
http://www.bostonbuddies.org/dogs/buddy.jpg

Small/Medium, Intelligent, Short hair. A hit with the ladies.

NLSoldier
11-17-2004, 10:18 PM
I think that 4th one down looks like a slightly more intelligent breed than the other 3. But probably just slightly.

elwoodblues
11-17-2004, 10:33 PM
I have a beagle. Great dog. Some things to keep in mind. Beagles are hounds so they are ruled by their nose. The breed tends to bark/bay quite a bit (though mine NEVER barks --- I got really lucky). Absoultely fantastic dog with kids. Tough to train, but if you stick with a reward/food system it works fairly well. Diva (my beagle) is fairly well trained, but it took some time. She knows all of the important commands --- sit, stay, lay down, roll-over and play dead (like I said, the important ones.)

Alobar
11-17-2004, 10:39 PM
Don't get a yippy little sh*t dog. At least be a man and get something you can go exersise and have fun with, instead of carrying around in your purse.

I know a couple people with jack russels, and they are just like all other little dogs....annoying. All they do is bark and try and start [censored] with dogs ten times their size. They remind me of this guy that lives in my apartment complex. He's about 5'3" wears a giant belt buckle and drives a truck that is lifted and has 35" tires on it. I get a kick out of watching him have to jump to get up into his truck.

Alobar
11-17-2004, 10:41 PM
you forgot the most important command of all "fetch the remote"! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm training my dog to bring my phone whenever it rings.

after that I'm gunna see if we can't tackle her opening the fridge and making me a sandwich, heh.

JoeU
11-17-2004, 10:43 PM
Daryn,

I have a Lhasa Apso. Small dog (she just broke the 14 pound mark), and pretty friendly. They say that this breed can be a little "bitter" toward strangers after they turn 2 years old or so. They were bred to be guard dogs in Tibetan palaces, or something like that.

The best part about this breed is that they don't shed. They have hair, not fur. The only draw back is that you have to send them to the groomers every 6-8 weeks to get a haircut.

You'll appreciate the face that my dog is named "Sambuca". /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Joe

GuyOnTilt
11-17-2004, 10:51 PM
I have a Lhasa Apso. Small dog (she just broke the 14 pound mark), and pretty friendly. They say that this breed can be a little "bitter" toward strangers after they turn 2 years old or so. They were bred to be guard dogs in Tibetan palaces, or something like that.

My little sis just got one of these like 6 months ago. Coolest and cutest dog ever. I love it.

GoT

daryn
11-17-2004, 11:29 PM
i wouldn't want a big dog. jack russell in my mind falls into the "not too small" category i was looking for.

daryn
11-17-2004, 11:30 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Daryn,

The best part about this breed is that they don't shed. They have hair, not fur. The only draw back is that you have to send them to the groomers every 6-8 weeks to get a haircut.

You'll appreciate the face that my dog is named "Sambuca". /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

nice name for a dog /images/graemlins/grin.gif. not sure i can dig the hairy dogs though, even though they might not shed.

bogey
11-17-2004, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A good dog? Mutts rule man. Seriously, theres nothing wrong with mutts.

Also, I'd recommend a female dog. Male dogs I've had were great but seemed to be more independent which basically means they liked to run away once in a while and were a pain not on their leash. Female dogs seem to stay closer and I could let them run off their leash without any fear of them running away. Anyone else have this experience?

Maybe I'm making this crap up out of some very statisticly insignificant data but I think I'd still make my next dog a bitch.

B00T
11-18-2004, 11:46 AM
I am with Topflight...Boston Terrier is the way to go. Best dog I ever had.

daveymck
11-18-2004, 12:00 PM
Jack Russels are the stupidest most vicous dog you can get, dont let them pictures fool you. If you plan to hunt rabbits get one but apart from that in my opinion they are the worst small first dog you can get.

I have been round dogs all my life, the best dog we ever had was a mongrel. My dad used to work with the local pound rehoming dogs so as well as our own dogs we had a lot of dogs for a week or so (guess who got lumbered with walking them). Its is the way to go you get all types of breeds but a lot of them either lost, or have come from elderly people who have died or some from mistreated homes.

As a first dog you want somthing with a good temprament that is easy to handle, so I would go for an ex elderly person one.

Dogs are not like shoes spending a couple hundred gets you a nice certificate probably with a nice family tree it does not guarantee intelligence or good temprament and cant be repaired.

Avoid a pup as well particulary again if you havent had dogs before you want somthing around 3-4 years old, still has life in it but has had all the training done.

Go to the pound with someone who knows dogs take your time and go a few times till you see the one you like and the dog person thinks is a nice dog, I can generally tell in a few seconds that a dog is half decent.

BK_
11-18-2004, 12:02 PM
get a king charles spanial. trust me. greatest dogs ever. sometimes a bit pricey though.

lhasas and shitzhu (sp) are cool too, but king charles spanials are much much cooler dogs

nicky g
11-18-2004, 12:10 PM
We must disagree again. Jack Russels are great. A bit (OK a lot) yappy but really friendly and playful. I've never come across one that could remotely be described as vicious. Then again you have infiintely more expreience with dogs than I do.

I agree about mongrels. All my favourite dogs have been mongrels.

One thing I never understand is middle class people's obsession with labradors (normal ones, not black/chocolate ones, they're kind of cool). They're fine but sooooo boring. Every middle class person in England seems to have a clone of the exact same bloody dog. They're the dog equivalent of a Volvo or DFS sofa. Not to mention the always get fat. And they are the absolute worse for trying to hump your leg. I'd much prefer a one off mongrel with a personality. I don;t understand the obsession with pure breeding either; dog nazism, I say /images/graemlins/blush.gif.

Topflight
11-18-2004, 12:13 PM
"A bit (OK a lot) yappy"

unacceptable

nicky g
11-18-2004, 12:16 PM
But they're funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnny

astroglide
11-18-2004, 12:20 PM
boston terriers are awesome

Lazymeatball
11-18-2004, 12:21 PM
Jack Russel terriers are not exactly set by a breed standard so they come in many varieties such as the smooth coat and the wire hair as you have pictured. They're kind of cool if you want a small dog, but have a lot of energy and can be a pain in the ass if you are not prepared to wear them out.

Most Boston terriers are so inbred that they either can't breed due to a lack of nasal cavity, or their eyes are literally at risk to pop out of their head.
I think for a small dog a Pug would be pretty cool. Although they have similar problems as the Boston terriers, they're just cuter and have cooler personalties.

I agree with the poster who suggested getting a full grown dog versus a puppy if this is your first dog. Puppies are a lot of work and you only get one chance to train them right.

I think you would like an Akita, even though it's technically above your size range. They are pretty cool though.
http:// http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/breedinformation/working/images/akita.jpg

sfer
11-18-2004, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a Lhasa Apso. Small dog (she just broke the 14 pound mark), and pretty friendly. They say that this breed can be a little "bitter" toward strangers after they turn 2 years old or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sister had one growing up. The unfriendly toward strangers was totally true.

daveymck
11-18-2004, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We must disagree again. Jack Russels are great. A bit (OK a lot) yappy but really friendly and playful. I've never come across one that could remotely be described as vicious. Then again you have infiintely more expreience with dogs than I do.

I agree about mongrels. All my favourite dogs have been mongrels.

One thing I never understand is middle class people's obsession with labradors (normal ones, not black/chocolate ones, they're kind of cool). They're fine but sooooo boring. Every middle class person in England seems to have a clone of the exact same bloody dog. They're the dog equivalent of a Volvo or DFS sofa. Not to mention the always get fat. And they are the absolute worse for trying to hump your leg. I'd much prefer a one off mongrel with a personality. I don;t understand the obsession with pure breeding either; dog nazism, I say /images/graemlins/blush.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I scrolled back up an noticed it was you I was disagreeing with. I dont know if its a North East thing quite a few people would take their Jack Russells rabbit hunting which probably kept the hunting viciousnes in the pups and that. I am sure any kid from the North east bitten by a dog it will have been a Jack Russell. I do think they are not the most intelligent of dogs and the picking fights with bigger dogs mentioned in the thread is just part of that temprament.

The rich people want labradors cos its the classic upper class hunting dog, but they are also generally an intellgent dog and tend to have a good temprament around children. If you want an intelligent middle sized dog I would go for a border collie though over a labradour (also some border collies can be loopy as well and need a lot of walking).

Topflight
11-18-2004, 12:46 PM
I agree with all the advice on getting a 2-3 yr old dog. I bought my baby as a puppy and had no idea how much work it would actually be. Potty and obedience training take a LOT of time. I eventually broke down and sent her off to a professional trainers.

Also, smaller dogs are harder to housebreak. Cleaning up poo poo is not fun. Cleaning up pee pee is worse.

wacki
11-18-2004, 12:49 PM
Vizlas, prefered by royalty and crown royal.

http://www.vizsladogs.com/HUMOUR/ad2.jpg

Lazymeatball
11-18-2004, 12:51 PM
oh, I just found this dog, Australian Cattle Dog, they look really cool, the few that I've met have all been nice, and they are more in your size range.
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/petplanet/fun/postcards/breedpostcards/Dogs/australian_cattle.jpg
Also, it will be alot easier to work in Crocodile Dundee quotes into the conversation when this dog is around. And if you really want to be white trash you can put a bandana on it.

One more thing, are you gonna be one of those jackasses who uses a picture of your dog as you avatar on PokerStar? I hate those people, almost as much as those who use a picture of their kid.

SomethingClever
11-18-2004, 12:59 PM
I recently got a black lab that I think is mixed with beagle. He's under a year old, but how much under I'm not sure. He's about 32 pounds.

Anyway, pretty much the best dog ever.

The worst behavior he displays is trying to cozy up into my bed too often.

Doesn't chew things he's not supposed to, doesn't bark, just likes to be around people. And it only took like two days to housebreak him.

Great dog.