PDA

View Full Version : thinking about getting a job...

daryn
11-17-2004, 08:07 PM
thinking about getting a job, but i have no idea what i'm doing as far as making a resume, applying, etc.

i'm totally ignorant to the world of work. i have worked jobs before, but just shitty jobs like compUSA, telephone answering service, etc.

what is an idiot like me to do?

kerssens
11-17-2004, 08:08 PM
did you go to school?

daryn
11-17-2004, 08:13 PM
yeah i have a BS in physics

ThaSaltCracka
11-17-2004, 08:14 PM
well do you want to do something in physics?

Homer
11-17-2004, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah i have a BS in physics

[/ QUOTE ]

ehh, you could always be a physics teacher. i think you might have mentioned that before.

daryn
11-17-2004, 08:17 PM
who knows. i don't even know what there is to do. i just want to get paid money for doing something i don't hate.

i could be a physics teacher, but i thought that i wouldn't be able to start until next september.

the only motivation i have for getting a job is so i can buy a house.

kerssens
11-17-2004, 08:21 PM
there are a lot of financial companies in your area, probably would like your math background

ThaSaltCracka
11-17-2004, 08:22 PM
well to be honest with you, you are ahead of some potential candidates and behind others. For one you have a degree, which is a very good thing, and a lot of good jobs just want people with a degree, so I don't think you are limited to just nerdy stuff /images/graemlins/grin.gif, basically anything is open to you. You are sort of behind some people though because it sounds like you don't have a lot of work experience. Look through the classifieds for entry level jobs or for a job in a field you might like.

Its not a big deal if you get a job and you find out you don't like it. Most people change jobs several times over their work career.

Homer
11-17-2004, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there are a lot of financial companies in your area, probably would like your math background

[/ QUOTE ]

you could be an actuary if you really like math. i think if you pass the first 1 or 2 exams (they have to take a series of tests) it isn't that hard to find a job. you'd make a ton of cash, but the downside is that you'd be putting in a lot of hours between work and studying for future exams, which you probably don't want.

daryn
11-17-2004, 08:26 PM
classifieds,.. good idea i think. i should check that out. also about resumes, are they as important as everyone says?

daryn
11-17-2004, 08:26 PM
what is an actuary?

i hate the idea of any kind of financial company /images/graemlins/frown.gif

kerssens
11-17-2004, 08:27 PM
the only thing that a long resume will get is a better chance at an interview....a lot of places like people with math backgrounds because they are good problem solvers....in the interview I had a couple days ago the guy said that even the little poker I play is a plus because it trains you to think and act quickly

Homer
11-17-2004, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what is an actuary?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.beanactuary.org/about/whatis.cfm

[ QUOTE ]
i hate the idea of any kind of financial company /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

well, scratch that idea then. i've gone through a lot of different ideas (actuarial science being one of them) and haven't found my calling yet (right now i'm teaching -- i've probably said that before). i'll be interested to see what you end up doing as we have somewhat similar backgrounds.

Michael Davis
11-17-2004, 08:30 PM
Disappointing news.

-Michael

nicky g
11-17-2004, 08:31 PM
Jobs suck. I get the impression you don't need one. If that's the case, don't take one.

daryn
11-17-2004, 08:34 PM
well financially i don't need one.

the problem is i'd like to buy my own place, as i feel that renting is for suckers. of course, how can i get a loan with no job? i can't. i have a decent amount of $$$, but not $300,000 to buy a place.

Michael Davis
11-17-2004, 08:36 PM
How cool are your parents? If somebody legitimate is willing to cosign for you can get a loan no problem.

-Michael

daryn
11-17-2004, 08:39 PM
my parents are cool, daddy-o. really, all they have to do is co-sign and it's a deal? interesting. we'll chat tonight.

nicky g
11-17-2004, 08:39 PM
Working is worse.

Michael Davis
11-17-2004, 08:42 PM
I'm not sure if your tone was ironic, but of course it's not a deal automatically, but if your parents are willing to cosign and they meet all of the requirements then there shouldn't be any problem at all. But I defer to those who have real knowledge of finance.

-Michael

WEASEL45
11-17-2004, 08:43 PM
you can get a loan with no job but the rates will be pretty bad.

Sponger15SB
11-17-2004, 08:51 PM
Jobs are for quitters. Daryn say it ain't so!

Maybe if you were working harder at online poker you could just walk into a bank with a garbage bag full of cash and they wouldn't mind you being a professional poker player.

daryn
11-17-2004, 08:55 PM
hahaha... garbage bag full of cash. yeah... if i ever put in 40 hrs/week into online poker i might be able to buy the house outright next year /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sponger15SB
11-17-2004, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hahaha... garbage bag full of cash. yeah... if i ever put in 40 hrs/week into online poker i might be able to buy the house outright next year /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

see, i think you just need to work harder at online poker and then your head won't be filled with silly thoughts like getting a real job.

think about it, if you were to get a real job you 1) wouldn't be able to play that much poker and 2) wasting time making less money that you would be if you were playing poker.

you don't seem to enthusiastic about getting a job for the usual "ooo i want to contribute to society and i feel ike when i play poker..." wah wah crap, so just get your act together and start playing more.

i just think you have run out of motivation for playing poker.

daryn
11-17-2004, 09:02 PM
i have definitely lost my motivation for playing online poker. i was in a good groove but when i got back from aruba i just realized that live poker is so much more fun that sitting on my ass in front of a computer. even when i was in that "good groove" i was only playing 10 hrs/week, but making $1000+/week. that was fine for me, but now i really want to get my own place. that is the main impetus for this decision to get a real job.

Boris
11-17-2004, 09:04 PM
Hi Daryn - I'm thinking about getting a job as well. If I get hired on I'll put in a good word for you with the boss. You do the same OK?

daryn
11-17-2004, 09:05 PM
haha i like that plan.

BadBoyBenny
11-17-2004, 09:17 PM
Yes, they are very important. At least for the jobs I've gotten. Most of the people who send in resumes will not get interviews.

daryn
11-17-2004, 09:21 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Most of the people who send in resumes will not get interviews.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm.. seems like the optimum strategy is NOT to send in a resume. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

lowroller
11-17-2004, 09:23 PM
Just get a stated-income loan and put some of your own money down on the place. As long as your credit is good, the rate won't be that much higher. Just consider it a cost of doing business tax-free.

Classifieds are the worst place to look for a job. The best jobs aren't advertised. If you're serious about a job, start networking.

bogey
11-17-2004, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
also about resumes, are they as important as everyone says?

[/ QUOTE ]

umm yeh, at least for getting your foot in the door.

By the way, are you going to be putting poker player on your resume? If you do, I'd be interested in hearing how you put it in and what kind of reactions you got as I'm grappling with mine now.

daryn
11-17-2004, 09:26 PM
no chance i would put that in my resume.

scotnt73
11-17-2004, 09:29 PM
have you tried monster.com? i got my networking job through them 4 years ago. they have a step by step easy process of fill in the blank for your resume with them. then you just search the jobs they have on thier site(thousands) and when you see one you are interested you just hit the send resume button. best place to start.

daryn
11-17-2004, 09:33 PM
interesting, thanks. i'll give it a shot anyway. problem is i don't have a resume, and have no idea how to make one. i hear people that have long resumes, but are they just putting BS filler in there?

BadBoyBenny
11-17-2004, 09:43 PM
A printed resume longer than one page is a bad idea. I think with Monster its a standard form and everyone's looks the same. Not sure though

Slacker13
11-17-2004, 09:46 PM
Jobs are for losers.

or is that drugs?

Six_of_One
11-17-2004, 09:54 PM
Resumes are no big deal. I'm sure you can find templates online or something. The key is to make everything sound really good, but in a way that you can semi-plausibly defend if challenged.

The easiest way to get a job, though, is to know someone.

nolanfan34
11-17-2004, 09:54 PM
Here's what should make your decision very easy:

Job + your own house is very +PV

No job + parent's basement is -PV

Topflight
11-17-2004, 09:55 PM
I think the length of resume depends on the type of job. I got a cs degree, and all cs majors had like 2-4 page resumes.

The standard business resume is one page I believe. I'd say go with a clean looking one page resume for most jobs, unless the job is very techinical and pages of specific skill are needed.

MMMMMM
11-17-2004, 10:47 PM
Come on Daryn grow a pair already.

daryn
11-17-2004, 11:32 PM
Come on Daryn grow a pair already.

[/ QUOTE ]

explain pls.

degenerategambler
11-17-2004, 11:41 PM
can you read a tape measure?

bogey
11-17-2004, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the length of resume depends on the type of job. I got a cs degree, and all cs majors had like 2-4 page resumes.

[/ QUOTE ]

So was I. No need for more than 1 page unless your Bill Gates.

daryn
11-17-2004, 11:49 PM
can you read a tape measure?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, again explanation pls.

daryn
11-17-2004, 11:49 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i've heard that also. a prospective employer would be less likely to read a resume longer than 1 page.

dmk
11-17-2004, 11:59 PM
nowadays, 2 pages is fine. times change. my boss is currently looking to fill a position in our group, and he looked at one resume, turns to me and says "he has 1 page...how can you describe all of your skill sets and job experience relative to this position in 1 page..." luckily he cares about the environment, so rather than going straight into the trash can its sitting in a paper bin waiting to become paper once again.

Topflight
11-18-2004, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i've heard that also. a prospective employer would be less likely to read a resume longer than 1 page.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. There really is no need for more than one. Mine is only one. I was just saying that the majority of cs resumes that I saw were longer. Not that I was a fan.

The HR person that will be looking at the resume might not even be familiar with all the technical garbage that gets flooded onto multiple page resumes, they just know it looks ugly and they don't want to read it.

Topflight
11-18-2004, 12:22 AM
If the only reason you want a job is to purchase a house, it seems like you are trying to solve the wrong problem.

You should spend more time figuring out how to obtain a home loan with your current means of income.

I can't think of a single person I know that actually enjoys going to work, but that is just my little world.

slickpoppa
11-18-2004, 12:25 AM
When I graduated from college I was in basically the same situation that you are in now. I had a physics degree and my only "real" job experience, not including caddying for 5 years, was working in a professor's lab for one summer. Since I ended up going to law school, I don't really have any advice about getting a job. Though, now that I am getting closer to becoming part of the real world, I am starting to regret not taking more time to smell the roses. So my advice to you is to not worry about getting a real job right away and live off poker winnings while doing something different like travelling. Or what about moving to Vegas for a year, playing poker, and dating a stripper?

slickpoppa
11-18-2004, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know much, but I do know that resumes for someone straight out of college should definitely not be more than a page. Any 22 year old who cannot fit their resume on to 1 page is full of sh*t.

MelchyBeau
11-18-2004, 12:43 AM
I'm in the same situation. I'll recieve my B.S. in physics Saturday. You might want to talk to your old profs. and ask them if they know anyone who is hiring. The best way to get your foot in the door is to have someone on the other side opening it up for you. Contacts make for wonderful job opportunities. Maybe you should attend a job fair at a local college or something. Just a few Ideas.

Physics is Phun.
Melch

daryn
11-18-2004, 12:49 AM
oh, another benefit to getting a job is health insurance, which i currently do not have.

i just got an idea. my friend works at UPS and says they offer full medical and dental even to part time workers. i think that might be a good job to keep my parents happy, so they would co-sign a loan for me, and also for the insurance thing.

Mano
11-18-2004, 12:53 AM
Do you know any computer programming? If so with a physics degree you could break into video game programming (can be a pretty fun job if your into games and the pay is pretty good, but the hours can suck).

Topflight
11-18-2004, 12:56 AM
Is it really that much more expensive to get health insurance on your own?

I can't for the life of me figure out why you would actually want a job. UPS? You will quit within a month.

There must be someone that can explain how to get a home loan with poker as your sole source of income. I find it hard to believe that there is no one out there willing to loan an intelligent guy like you money for a house.

daryn
11-18-2004, 01:01 AM
to mano: no on the programming, but that does sound like a cool job!

topflight: i really don't want to have a job, but i see it as the only way to get out of this house and get my own place, without wasting money on rent. UPS seems alright. i actually like manual labor. plus, full benefits for working 20 hrs/week? seems too good to pass up.

health insurance, i dunno, probably at least $400/month up here.

MMMMMM
11-18-2004, 01:01 AM
Well at least put it on ONE resume

Topflight
11-18-2004, 01:09 AM
Assuming you get a job and then a home loan, how long do you think it will take you to quit your job and go back to playing poker?

My plan is to sucker someone into giving me a home loan while I have a job, then quit and play poker.

20 hrs a week of manual labor doesn't actually sound that bad, especially when you know you don't have to do it. My first job out of college was moving boxes around a liquor store, those were the good ol days.

Now I just sit in front of a computer pretending to do something and get handed money, but somehow I'd rather not HAVE to be there every day. That's what kills me.

MMMMMM
11-18-2004, 01:10 AM
UPS is a ball-busting outfit; I once worked part-time for them for sorting packages for three days so I should know. They are solid though.

I really like Slacker's suggestion of working in a kennel, though, because it would kill 2 birds with one stone. Another big plus to his idea is that the money you would save on dog food could easily add up to a down payment in a few years.

daryn
11-18-2004, 01:11 AM
i would most likely only work the job 20 hrs a week while playing poker.

i would probably quit the job if i ever found a better job. but it would have to be the job of my dreams.

Mano
11-18-2004, 01:16 AM
If you really wanted to get into it, I am sure you could teach yourself enough programming in a couple of months to get by (basically what I did - I was math/physics major). But I'm not kidding about the hours - you will most likely have 3+ month stretches where 70-80 hr weeks are common.

If you want to teach, you could probably substitute for the remainder of the year and look for a full time gig next year, or try to get a position at a community college and start next quarter/semester. Teaching is a really cool job, but the pay sucks.

daryn
11-18-2004, 01:21 AM
if i ever had to work a 70 hour week i'd shoot myself.

i can dig teaching, but does the pay really suck that bad? i mean how much is suck?

Michael Davis
11-18-2004, 01:27 AM
You need to get a job at a private high school. The pay there can be much higher than at a public school and generally escalates faster, and since they are private, you don't need all of the official qualifications. However, these jobs are tough to come by, and it really helps to have an advanced degree of sorts.

Plus, the big benefit is having like 1/3 of the year off and during that time you could play lots of poker. But lots of things about teaching really suck, specifically that you have to teach.

-Michael

Cosimo
11-18-2004, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
nowadays, 2 pages is fine. times change. my boss is currently looking to fill a position in our group, and he looked at one resume, turns to me and says "he has 1 page...how can you describe all of your skill sets and job experience relative to this position in 1 page..." luckily he cares about the environment, so rather than going straight into the trash can its sitting in a paper bin waiting to become paper once again.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a hiring manager, I generally trash resumes longer than two pages. If the candidate can't figure out what skills he has that are relevant to the type of job he's looking for, then chances are he's not going to be a good programmer. Fluff annoys me. What did you do, why is it relevant? I work at a game company. Two pages of some IT-based server-jargon web-app page-hosting crap gets thrown away. I don't care if you know fifty-two scripting languages.

I custom-build my resume for every single job I apply for, along with a hand-crafted cover letter. I trim the useless [censored]. I think my BS degree is now just one line, and all my coursework consigned to the dustbin of broken memories.

Mano
11-18-2004, 01:29 AM
I know a teacher who started last year - makes about 30k/yr . I also know one that has been teaching 10+ years - makes about 40k/yr. (I am in Utah - salaries may vary depending on where you are). You won't get rich teaching, but typically has decent benefits and you can have a pretty good work/life balance (no excessive OT and summers off is pretty sweet).

daryn
11-18-2004, 01:35 AM
yeah at this point i would be satisfied w/ 30k/yr (for now)

Mano
11-18-2004, 01:39 AM
You should check if you need to pass any sort of certification in your state to teach (in Utah you need a teaching certificate to teach in public schools - private can do whatever they want) so you can get certified by next year. I believe substitutes don't need certificate here. Good luck.

daryn
11-18-2004, 01:41 AM
yeah, in mass. you need to pass 2 certification tests, one is in your subject and one is in general literacy and competency. how easy.

also you have to get a masters degree within 5 years after you're hired.

Michael Davis
11-18-2004, 01:43 AM
"also you have to get a masters degree within 5 years after you're hired."

Are you serious? Can you give further details on this? Does this apply to just high school or everyone?

-Michael

Jim Kuhn
11-18-2004, 01:46 AM
Homes are WAY overrated! For only $1000 a month the bank lets me live in their home, mow their yard, clean out their gutters, fix and replace things as they wear out. Then once a year Uncle Sam let me pay him $3000 and calls it property taxes.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

nothumb
11-18-2004, 02:12 AM
daryn-

If you are interested in working 20 hours per week, teaching is, well, not for you. Think more like 50 hours per week.

If you like being in a teaching/mentoring role, though, you might consider working with youth in a treatment center or a youth home. I do this and there are plenty of part time or per diem staff who do pretty well. Also, you can add or subtract hours pretty easily and if you are a capable staff you are always in demand. Some places also hire tutors (I started out as a tutor making 16 bucks an hour as part of an afterschool grant) which can be good too.

I know there are some places like that in the Boston area and there are a TON of them out here in W. Mass.

NT

daryn
11-18-2004, 02:21 AM
Does this apply to just high school or everyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure what you mean. i know you need to get a masters in your field within 5 years to teach high school in mass. that's about it.

jdl22
11-18-2004, 04:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

You need to get a job at a private high school. The pay there can be much higher than at a public school and generally escalates faster, and since they are private, you don't need all of the official qualifications.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether private schools pay more or less seems to depend on the area. I'm from Oregon and I'm pretty sure that most private schools there pay less than public. In Hawai'i the private schools pay significantly more than public schools. I'm not quite sure what the difference is but the private schools in Hawai'i are also better than those in Oregon, and the public schools in Oregon tend to be better.

nicky g
11-18-2004, 06:06 AM
"I really don't want to have a job, but i see it as the only way to get out of this house and get my own place, without wasting money on rent. "

Rent is kind of a waste of money if you can buy. But seriously man, doing a job you don;t like is a much bigger waste of resources than paying rent, in that it takes up all your time. Think of that rent as paying to have all your time to yourself. Plus you crazy yanks work insane hours and have hardly any holidays.

Still, I guess if you don't like it, you can quit. But really, jobs suck unless you're doing something you actively enjoy a lot.

NLSoldier
11-18-2004, 06:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Rent is kind of a waste of money if you can buy. But seriously man, doing a job you don;t like is a much bigger waste of resources than paying rent, in that it takes up all your time. Think of that rent as paying to have all your time to yourself. Plus you crazy yanks work insane hours and have hardly any holidays.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is the best point in this thread.

I am with you that renting sucks Daryn, but getting a job just to avoid renting for a little while seems silly imo.

B00T
11-18-2004, 11:36 AM
My suggestions being generally in your age and exposed to these problems.

#1. Do you file taxes on your online poker money? If you are reporting a steady income you may be able to get a loan anyway.

#2. There are zero background check loans available to non-conforming borrowers (you would fall into this catergory). I work for a mortgage company that specializes in this.

#3. The option of having someone cosign the loan (a parent) is an easy way to circumvent that problem.

#4. Showing 20 hrs a week on the books at UPS netting $200 will not help in getting a mortgage anyway. This would fall in under #2. If you make $200 or $0 a week on the books it really doesnt factor in to a $100,000+ loan.

#5. My friend was in your situation working as a restaurant manager for a mafioso type place making 90% of his money under the table. He went route #2 and just got a higher interest loan with no prying into your personal records.

#6. If you just want to get away from your parents, go attend some real estate seminars and look into becoming a "landlord". Buy a house and if you can prove you have tenants that are essentially paying your mortgage you can prove payment that way. Look into a 2 family house and rent out the bottom.

#7. Suck it up and deal with living with your parents for now and save up that much more money. Go and get an entry level job at a large company and put in the grind in hopes of moving up within 3 years. Go become a teacher and play poker part time at night. I wont get into the debate of will poker be around and so profitable forever where you may be stuck 5 years from now.

Hope any of that helps. PM me if you want more details about mortgages.

lowroller
11-18-2004, 11:50 AM
I don't know too many banks that will loan 300K to someone with 1) no job/verifiable income history 2) a new job 3) a new job that is 20 hours a week.

It's really very simple. Talk to a mortgage broker about a stated-income loan (you tell them what you make, they believe you), pay for your own health insurance (do a search and get some quotes, not that tough). This way you can continue to do what you are doing now and still have a house and insurance.

I've done both...it's easier than what you are thinking about doing.

Wake up CALL
11-18-2004, 01:19 PM
Here (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6519923/) is a good article on a new profession which you might be good at. Plus it would lead to the old cliche as to what do you say to a poker player that now has a job.

MarkL444
11-18-2004, 01:21 PM
your posts prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that jobs are more interesting then dogs. nice work.

codewarrior
11-18-2004, 01:40 PM
Best. Troll. Ever....

SomethingClever
11-18-2004, 02:05 PM
I looked into buying a house when I was unemployed through a stated-income loan. You give up a little bit in terms of interest points (maybe .75 of a point), but it's not that hard to do if you have like 5% down or more.

I ended up getting a job before buying the house, though.

daryn
11-18-2004, 03:49 PM
Here (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6519923/) is a good article on a new profession which you might be good at. Plus it would lead to the old cliche as to what do you say to a poker player that now has a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't get it. it appears to be some attempt at a joke on your part?

for a guy who posts so infrequently, you'd think you'd come up w/ better jokes /images/graemlins/frown.gif

daryn
11-18-2004, 03:50 PM
the thing about the 20 hrs/week job wasn't to be able to get a loan. it would only be to satisfy my parents, who would then co-sign for me. also 20 hrs/week at UPS nets you full medical and dental.

Wake up CALL
11-18-2004, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

for a guy who posts so infrequently, you'd think you'd come up w/ better jokes /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a joke at all, most former poker players end up delivering pizzas at sometime in their life.

Topflight
11-18-2004, 03:53 PM
How would moving boxes at a quarter of your current payrate satisfy your parents. What is wrong with parents anyway.

daryn
11-18-2004, 03:55 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a joke at all, most former poker players end up delivering pizzas at sometime in their life.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not aware of that.

daryn
11-18-2004, 03:55 PM
How would moving boxes at a quarter of your current payrate satisfy your parents. What is wrong with parents anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

parents just don't understand, clearly.

a big + is the insurance.

Topflight
11-18-2004, 04:02 PM
It seems like your insurance would be more expensive if you took a paycut just to get it. I haven't done any insurance shopping because I still have another year to ride off of my parents for that, but it can't be that bad.

It could possibly be true that playing 15 hours of poker would put more cash in hand + insurance than 20 hours of moving boxes. I'm even inclined to say 10 hours of poker.

What would you get paid at UPS doing something like this, $15/hr. This is not worth insurance. Find a job that pays like $25 and then it could be worth it.

daryn
11-18-2004, 04:06 PM
oh yeah, also online poker sucks. i hardly play anymore.

bogey
11-18-2004, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

a big + is the insurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Insurance aint that much for a young healthy male. Unless you have some type of condition which requires regular expensive medication like diabetes or something you can insure yourself for less than $100 a month.

Last year, I took a year off before starting law school and only paid about $50 a month for my health insurance. Granted, this was pretty minimal coverage, basically just in case of a catastrophe but for a twenty something guy its just not that big of a deal to have minimal coverage for a few years. Look into Anthem BlueCross/BlueShield, or something like that.

daryn
11-18-2004, 05:00 PM
i hear that a lot on here.

then i ask my friends around here and they say it's more like $400/mo at least.

astroglide
11-18-2004, 05:08 PM
i paid like $85/month for blue cross/blue shield non-hmo insurance like 3 years ago.

B00T
11-18-2004, 05:09 PM
look into Blue Cross + Blue Shield and Cobra. Cobra is around $250 a month I believe.

lowroller
Have you even checked for yourself?

daryn
you get full coverage with that? i have no idea how it works but all i hear is multiple hundreds per month. also could living in boston have anything to do with it? just like car insurance is cheaper in buttfuck, iowa.

JustPlayingSmart
11-18-2004, 05:44 PM
Also, as far as insurance goes, if you are self-employed, you should be able to deduct 100% of your health insurance premiums for AGI. This should decrease the cost of your insurance by around 25% (or whatever your marginal tax rate is).

david050173
11-18-2004, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you get full coverage with that? i have no idea how it works but all i hear is multiple hundreds per month. also could living in boston have anything to do with it? just like car insurance is cheaper in buttfuck, iowa.

[/ QUOTE ]

Full coverage is a vague term. But you should be able to get a pretty standard HMO plan for under 200 a month if you are a healthy, 20-35 year old male that doesn't smoke. Less if you go the big deducable route. There are a zillion online places that give qutoes so there is no reason to listen to second hand info.

sfer
11-18-2004, 06:08 PM
It would be hilarious if you got a job faster than Johnny Boom Boom.

scrub
11-18-2004, 08:01 PM
Buying health insurance is pretty cheap.

Cobra is often more expensive than just buying individual ins.

The much bigger reason to get a job is that online poker sucks and live poker doesn't pay that well...

scrub

Evan
11-18-2004, 08:03 PM
I will second the opinion that that would be hilarious, I will also predict it happening.

daryn
11-18-2004, 11:08 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

Full coverage is a vague term. But you should be able to get a pretty standard HMO plan for under 200 a month if you are a healthy, 20-35 year old male that doesn't smoke. Less if you go the big deducable route. There are a zillion online places that give qutoes so there is no reason to listen to second hand info.

[/ QUOTE ]

here's a question i've always wondered about. why can't you just lie to them and say you don't smoke?

astroglide
11-18-2004, 11:31 PM
they take a blood test/etc when you sign up, presumably that would show up

dogsballs
11-19-2004, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i have a decent amount of $$$, but not $300,000 to buy a place.

[/ QUOTE ]

play higher.

Randy_Refeld
11-19-2004, 12:31 AM
I have recently shopped for insurance. Varies widely based on where you live. Good coverage is several 100 a month. Coverage that keeps you from getting wiped out by a hospital stay is cheap.

RR

DeezNuts
11-19-2004, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
health insurance, i dunno, probably at least $400/month up here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm on a contract assignment and buy my own health insurance. I just got quoted for a 2k deductible insurance for $80/month. It does help that my sister is a doctor, though(quick scripts).

I am somewhat in the same boat as you, as I am looking to buy a house, but the market is going crazy in Cali. I'm looking to stay around metro LA for around $350k, but even that's a stretch. I don't have a full time job, so I'm not sure how easy the loan will be to secure. I will be following this thread, though.

DN