PDA

View Full Version : AA in Tourney Play

10-02-2001, 11:41 PM
Basic 101 question - I can't seem to get this right.

How do you play AA preflop in a no limit tourney play. -- both early in the tourney (low limits) and late (I think I go all in late). Sorry for the remedial question. I just went 100 in on 5/10 limits and the table folded - won a big $12. I get paranoid about getting cracked on the flop to a trips from a small pair or a miracle flush or st8 flop.

Thanks

10-03-2001, 11:44 AM
In general I raise to 3xBB on any raising hand. This is equivalent to a pot sized raise. I try not to raise more or less based on the cards because keen opponents may notice it and try to use it to their advantage. If players have limped in then the raise will be increased. If there are antes I may increase the raise to 4xBB.

Ken Poklitar

10-04-2001, 10:23 AM
I played at the Commerce last spring in there big tournament. In the 1st NLHE event I got AA three times within the 1st 30 minutes of play in all different positions. I made a small raise each time and the entire table folded each time winning me the blinds only. It was like I had a reader board on my forehead. (I'm going to check that)

I'm going to try limping next earlly in the tournament and if I go out it will be in a flame of glory, not a wimper.

Good Luck

L.A.

10-04-2001, 11:43 AM
Were you making bigger raises with other hands ?

If you are worried about giving away tells, the first thing you should do (at least to start with) is raise a consistent amount whether you have just a good hand or the bullets.

Andy.

10-04-2001, 05:32 PM
Early on I raise the pot or 3-5X the big blind depending on position but I ALWAYS raise (usually). Late in the tournament especially if the table is short handed, I may just limp and gamble a little on being able to trap someone and not get trapped myself. Late in the tournament and short stacked (less than enough to survive a round of blinds and antes) is the only time I may go all in preflop.