PDA

View Full Version : Heads up Play

10-02-2001, 12:42 PM
I was recently heads up at the final table in a limit tournament. The blinds were $1,000 / $2,000. My question relates to minimum starting hands for raising from the button, calling a raise from the big blind, and raising from the big blind if called or raised by the button.

I started with about 1/5 the chips of my opponent and by being very aggressive had drawn even after about 10 hands. I ended up loosing after starting with KQ suited twice in a row and being beaten both times.

I would appreciate any opinions. Thanks.

10-02-2001, 06:14 PM
I think it really depends on how aggressive/passive your opponent is playing. Watch the types of cards he raises, re-raises and call raises. Then based on this knowledge you can decide what may be best with each hand.

For example if he always raises or re-raises then I would tend to call his raises with a wider variety of hands. Plus I would raise less often with marginal hands but I would re-raise more often with solid hands ( or attempt to trap).

The other important thing to watch is the stack size compared to the blinds. Some players change when their stack size becomes big, small or average.

Ken Poklitar

10-03-2001, 09:32 AM
Ask Abdul Jalib for a game-theory optimal strategy. Other than that, the only thing that matter is your opponent. If he'll continue to fold his big blind to your raise often enough, it doesn't matter what your cards are, does it?

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)