PDA

View Full Version : 99-JJ

sourbeaver
11-17-2004, 06:55 PM
Is is a sound PF line to only limp/call raises with these hands ?

I take that line because I only play these hands for a set, but wonder if I'm letting some value go when I never raise them (even with position).

soah
11-17-2004, 07:12 PM
Against loose, bad players I'm almost always raising JJ. With 99 it's enough to try to steal the blinds from late position. In 6-max I may raise 99 even from UTG.

mythrilfox
11-17-2004, 07:51 PM
It depends on position, but if I'm in EP/MP I will almost always take that line, and it's perfectly sound. If overcards flop, you can play them for overpair value, but if it's in an unraised pot you can't be assured that someone didn't hit two pair or a straight, so it's wise to let it go in the face of aggression. TT/JJ I'll probably raise in LP on occassion, but if you auto-bet when an overcard flops and someone calls, you're probably drawing almost dead, which is why I tend to play these for set value more than anything.

Short-handed is a completely different story, of course.

creedofhubris
11-18-2004, 08:46 AM
I routinely raise JJ when there's at least one limper to me, or when I am in late position. I raise TT from late position. I raise 99 from the button.

I limp-reraise bad players with JJ and TT.

phil_ivey_fan
11-18-2004, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I limp-reraise bad players with JJ and TT.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, along the same lines...it really depends on the competition you are up against. I only play 6max, so here are my standard lines...which would be different in a 10max game.

SAG (tilt or maniacs), I'll limp reraise (sometimes all-in if I think they will call).
TAG, and I raise and play for value.
LAG, and I limp/call

beta1607
11-18-2004, 12:17 PM
If you strictly play these hands only for set value even with position you loss too much value. In middle and late position raise with 99-jj everytime. Some people have said they limp-raise with 99-JJ and possibly all in, baring an impecable read on your opponent putting him on a smaller pair or Ax/Kx I think this is a terrible idea. It is far more likely you will get called by a higher pair which dominates you or put yourself in a coinflip situation then a situation were you are a strong favorite.