PDA

View Full Version : JJ hand

lebowski58
11-17-2004, 04:01 PM
I'm playing in a home tournament and there are 5 of 7 guys left. I'm in the big blind with JJ. UTG calls. Next two fold. Small blind raises to 200 (big blind 60). I put him on a steal, AK, or low pocket pair. He's got me covered but we both have sizeable stacks. I push all in. He ponders for about 2 minutes and calls. Turns over queens, catches a third on the flop and eliminates me.

Any constructive criticism?

Thanks guys,
Chris

warewulf
11-17-2004, 04:38 PM
If you thought he was trying to steal, sounds like a good play to me. Others may have different opinions though.

Last friday I was playing a home tourney and also got screwed with JJ -- I was somewhat short stacked. I raised to $10 (near cash amounts, blind was $2) and then got raised all in. The all in turns over KQ unsuited (don't know if he did the right thing or was trying to bluff me out). The flop was 662, turn another 6 for a full boat. Sure enough he caught a queen on the river and I was knocked out. That SOB!!

warewulf

Mojo Tooth
11-17-2004, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
=I put him on a steal, AK, or low pocket pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting him on a steal seems unlikely because it would be foolish to attempt to steal against an UTG limper. So if he's not on a steal, it's unlikely that he's going to raise with a low PP as well.

If you have past experiences that tell you this guy is likely to try to steal from the SB against an early-position limper, well, then fine. It just seems like that specific bit of reasoning is the weakest part of the whole play.