PDA

View Full Version : Damn Royal Flush

09-27-2001, 01:26 PM
Playing the same NL tourney as my previous post. We are down to 7 players on each table. I have 8500.

Blinds are 100-200.

I limp UTG with JdTd. A lady (LL) limps. One other guy limps. Big blinds call. 900 in the pot.

Flop is Ad7c2d.

BB checks. I decide to lead out with a bet of 800 to see if I can win it right here. LL calls, all other players fold. T2500 in the pot.

Turn is Kd.

I now have the 2nd nut flush. LL is the type of player to call decent size bets with top pair or even 2nd pair. I don't want to bet too much since I want her to call. I bet T1500. LL calls. T5500 in the pot.

River is Qd.

Damn, I have the royal flush /images/smile.gif I bet T2000 hoping she calls. She folds but shows 22 for a flopped set. I show my Royal Flush. Of course the last diamond cost me money.

Comments welcome,

Ken Poklitar

09-27-2001, 02:53 PM
That's why you should never slowplay a flush, IMO. Ok, sometimes it is correct but very rarely. Since that 4th flush card is not a pleasant sight for you or for your opponent.

I would have played it exactly as you did. I would have picked a number likely to get called on the turn, like you did.

Bummer the Qd rivered.

The only thing was the bet on the flop. You knew your opponents but maybe I would have played it differently if I knew an opponent would raise me enough to blow me out of the hand. If not likely, then your bet is very correct.

Nicolas Fradet (ThePrince)

09-27-2001, 04:26 PM
I agree about the flop bet. It may have been dangerous but the Lady was not aggressive as you can see with her play of a set. Earlier she could have busted someone when she flopped a set but she check/called the river when she was raised on the flop.

If the Lady and I had switched positions in the hand and she bet out on the flop with her flush draw and I flopped bottom set on a twotone board, I would have made a big raise that would be tough for a flush draw to call.

Ken Poklitar