PDA

View Full Version : So when is the war in iraq going to be over?

PITTM
11-17-2004, 02:09 PM
its been like 2 years now, we heard the phrase "mission accomplished" over a year ago. But at this point all we've established that US soldiers are pretty good at beating prisoners and even shooting injured civilians, are we ever going to "win" this war? Or are we just going to fight insurgency after insurgency. I have trouble understanding why conservatives think this war is so important to fight without having any real goals. I hear lots of "we're trying to free iraq and make it a better place for the people there" but we can only kill so many innocent civilians in the process. Just imagine if our country was invaded in an attempt to "free" us from our government and then it just turned into a 2 year occupation where civilians were being killed, dont you think we would probably never accept the occupying force as our saviors and that we would probably be fighting back ALL THE TIME?

rj

Toro
11-17-2004, 02:30 PM
I have no idea what Bush has in mind but if he wants to accomplish anything at all in his 2nd term he would be wise to declare victory as soon as possible and get the hell out.

Otherwise, ala Vietnam, the morass will be all consuming of his adminstration's resources, leaving him powerless to spend the political capital he believes he has attained.

BettyBoopAA
11-17-2004, 02:49 PM
we won the war in Iraq a long time ago, we are now fighting for the peace.

Toro
11-17-2004, 03:39 PM
Why not let the Iraqis fight for the peace?

wacki
11-17-2004, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
we heard the phrase "mission accomplished" over a year ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

When will the far left and angry liberals let this go? You know damn well what that sign meant. It wasn't even Bush that wanted the sign, it was the soldiers. They deserved that sign and whole lot more. If you are going to "support our troops" you will let them have their fun.

PITTM
11-17-2004, 04:23 PM
i guess if their fun is had by pretending a war is over when they will end up fighting for a few more years i support that. im sure the troops would be more excited if they got to go home instead of fighting a war with no goal...

rj

PITTM
11-17-2004, 04:25 PM
ok, so when will the "fight for peace" be over if you really take objection to me using "war" for a situation where we are in a foreign country fighting their people...

rj

wacki
11-17-2004, 04:31 PM
Do you understand that a war is made up of missions? Do you understand that simply blowing up a ammo depo could be considered a mission?

I think taking out the republican guard and getting baghdad was the mission they were talking about.

[ QUOTE ]
i guess if their fun is had by pretending a war is over when they will end up fighting for a few more years i support that.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you won't support them celebrating the defeat of the republican guard and getting to baghdad? You won't support the celebration of the removal of baghdad bob or the removal of saddam from power?

MelchyBeau
11-17-2004, 04:43 PM
The Mission Accomplished banner was sent to the aircraft by the whitehouse. I support the troops so much I want them home and safe.

Melch

PITTM
11-17-2004, 04:46 PM
if you dont think having bush on an aircraft carrier with a giant MISSION ACCOMPLISHED banner is misleading as to our progress in iraq i dont know what you would think is misleading...

rj

ACPlayer
11-17-2004, 07:09 PM
Give it up dude -- you are the one who keeps getting angry.

Bush liked the image of the flight suit and the sign or there would not have been one.

You keep falling for the right wing nut job propaganda and their canned "hate the liberals and the liberals hate the troops and America" garbage.

TomCollins
11-17-2004, 08:52 PM
The Mission Accomplished banner was for the ship returning home. That ships mission was accomplished. THE END.

Kevin J
11-17-2004, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But at this point all we've established that US soldiers are pretty good at beating prisoners and even shooting injured civilians, are we ever going to "win" this war?

[/ QUOTE ]

The United States military is the best on the planet when it comes to destroying, blowing up, and incapacitating an enemy. In those terms, the *war* has already been won. Quickly, decisively, and as expected. So from a military sense, "mission accomplished".

What our armed services are not very good at however, is under taking the roles of prison guards, policing, and being political peacemakers. I personally believe this is a political mess. Not a military one.

I think you and others are way too quick to blame the U.S. military for the many mistakes being made in Iraq. They have once again, shown themselves to be the best fighting force on earth. They have performed their jobs with the utmost skill and in a heroic manner. I think all Americans should be proud of them.

Unfortunately, they have also been asked to take on other demands, which are not necessarily military in nature. Your beef is with politicians. Not with the soldiers carrying out this war. IMO-

And before you say it... I am not in any way exusing what happened in Abu Gahrib or the most recent reports of a marine shooting an unarmed, wounded prisoner. But again, I suspect that the individuals who committed these heinous acts had received a little more training in how to kill the enemy than how to care for them.

BadBoyBenny
11-17-2004, 10:07 PM
Dude, it's gonna be awhile. Better to save some of that anger for when things really go bad.

goofball
11-18-2004, 04:58 AM
notices that GWB has not posted in this thread

wacki
11-18-2004, 05:05 AM
50 years (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/perspective/chi-0411140311nov14,1,4110387.story?coll=chi-newsopinionperspective-hed)

jokerswild
11-18-2004, 08:56 AM
almost never. A good guess? 2150.

GWB
11-18-2004, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I reveal the correct answer on a public forum, it will help the terrorists. I like to keep them guessing. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I can say though, that the war will end on my terms and my timetable.

goofball
11-18-2004, 02:26 PM
nothing like blind arrogance from our commander in chief

anatta
11-18-2004, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

When will the far left and angry liberals let this go

[/ QUOTE ]

Bush said "major combat opperations are over" (or something like that). 1200 plus are dead. Thousands wounded.

I don't know if its on Fox, but it sure looks like major combat operations on my TV.

Stu Pidasso
11-18-2004, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
at this point all we've established that US soldiers are pretty good at beating prisoners and even shooting injured civilians

[/ QUOTE ]

We established that US soldiers kick ass. Even in grueling urban combat.

Stu

wacki
11-18-2004, 03:28 PM
That is a legitimate arguement. I was objecting to the complaints of soldiers wanting the mission accomplished sign. I think those troops should have every right to celebrate the end of their mission.

tolbiny
11-18-2004, 03:50 PM
As i recall the sign was sent by the white house advance team. looking for an article.

Toro
11-18-2004, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I reveal the correct answer on a public forum, it will help the terrorists. I like to keep them guessing. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I can say though, that the war will end on my terms and my timetable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you also have a secret plan ala "tricky dick" Nixon for ending the War. Ha ha.

theBruiser500
11-18-2004, 05:21 PM
bush is a [censored]

wacki
11-18-2004, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As i recall the sign was sent by the white house advance team. looking for an article.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was sent by the white house, but the troops requested it.

theBruiser500
11-18-2004, 06:05 PM
that would should be f.ag

CORed
11-19-2004, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you also have a secret plan ala "tricky dick" Nixon for ending the War. Ha ha.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but Kerry did.

CORed
11-19-2004, 02:17 AM
In 2009, when Hillary brings the troops home.

Toro
11-19-2004, 09:02 AM
Actually no. If he didn't waffle on the issue I think he would have been a lot better off.