PDA

View Full Version : Help on SB play...

jadowa
11-17-2004, 01:42 PM
I've been having trouble on SB situations when it is checked to me lately. Especially on Level 3 25/50 where the reward of stealing isn't that great... Here is an example hand, please tear it apart...

8 People left

Hero (SB) - 850
Villian (BB) - 2500

Villian has been playing almost every hand since becoming chip leader.

Hero is Dealt A /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif and bets 150
Villian calls

Flop Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero bets 200 (does 200 show weakness? Should I not have bet at all? Should have I bet pot?)

Villian Calls

Hero has 500, pot has 700

At this point I think he has middle/bottom pair or is on flush draw - He has put people all-in twice previous with top pair.

Flop came 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I was ready give it up and save my 500 chips for a better spot as I figured he would call with middle pair. So...

Hero checks.
Villian checks.

Should have I pushed here? After he checked, I was leaning more towards a flush draw, but still wasn't certain

River was 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero? I checked hoping he would too and get out of this hand.

Villian bets 150

It took my whole time, but I finally decided that he had a "flush draw gone bad" bet.

So the pot has 850, Hero has 500, there was a bet of 150 to me... Do I call here?

Results white below:

<font color="white">I call. Villian shows 9h3d for a pair of 99 and wins 1000 from the pot</font>

jadowa
11-17-2004, 04:36 PM
Anyone have anything to offer?

RavenJackson
11-17-2004, 05:02 PM
jadowa. There are all types of wrong in this hand.
/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I will address one issue.

I would not ever make an attempt to steal when I am out of position. I would have folded this hand as soon as it was checked to me.

This is especially true if your read is correct; namely, the villian is a "calling station".