PDA

View Full Version : not so common situation

turnipmonster
11-17-2004, 01:37 PM
5/10 SH, hero openraises AJo in the CO and gets called by the BB.

flop is Q 7 3 rainbow. check, bet call.

turn is Q. BB bets.

this bet stinks to me, and I contemplated raising. most anyone with a Q here would checkraise. I am curious what everyone's default line is for situations like this.

--turnipmonster

J.R.
11-17-2004, 02:27 PM
Raise and check behind absent improvement, folding to a 3-bet. Against a very aggressive player I would just call down.

The problem is many times the flop goes check-call and the turn is a bet from a small pair that wanted to see if another broadway card fell. These guys may fold to a turn raise, and it costs the same as calling down

Another common possibility is that flop card pairing on the turn is often a bluffing spot, and while you may not want to stop them from bluffing win such a small pot, many will not bet the river when you call the turn, so I like a raise in this scenario because (in addition to possibly of folding a small pair for the same price as calling down) you charge a 6 out hand to draw, and you aren't likely stopping a bluff becuase they often do not follow thru on the river, and if they fold, you you don't give them a chance to draw out on you and extract a river bet.

While you want them to make a mistake and call, they do have some equity in the pot (most likely 6 pair outs) and will most often check-fold the river if they bluffed the turn = and do not improve, so you deny them the chance to draw out or charge them for the privilege while not losing the opportunity to snap off a bluff (which wasn't going to happen anyway).

turnipmonster
11-17-2004, 05:12 PM
in addition to possibly of folding a small pair for the same price as calling down)

man you play good. I called down because I don't recall very many people taking this line against me and I wanted to see what he had. showed me K7. in retrospect this was a perfect free showdown play, as I am not necessarily crazy about folding.

--turnipmonster

kiddo
11-17-2004, 07:07 PM
I would guess he is not betting a pure bluff and not betting Qs. I would think he had a lousy pair and fold because I aint got the odds to hit.

Your only chance is a pure bluff and I dont think it will happen often enough. If he is "tricky" enough to bet with a small pair he will not fold it if u raise.

joker122
11-17-2004, 07:12 PM
I admit I've already seen the results, but I had this in mind this morning when I first saw this post.

This is almost always a 7 or a 3, and they are almost always going to a showdown. I'd just fold the turn.