PDA

View Full Version : Need some input by 4:30 est if possible....

silversurfer
11-17-2004, 01:20 PM
My girlfriend is going to get me an early xmas present today - among other things, she is going to add to my poker library. I have ToP, HEFAP, TP (McEvoy) and a few others. I've narrowed it down to TPFAP and SSH. If she can get me both, great. If not, I'll get them both eventually - on a really tight budget for the next 2 months tho.

Which would you consider the more important read?
Primarily, I play SnG's, but I'm working on both my MTT play at lower levels and I'm going to start working on my NL play (.25 - 1$ max for now).

Advice? Thanks a bunch.

Douper
11-17-2004, 01:28 PM
SSH only covers Limit play, since you say you only play SnG's and MTT's it looks like TPFAP would be your best bet.

MicroBob
11-17-2004, 01:30 PM
Playing MTT and No-limit I would think you would want to order Harrington's new book.

SSHE won't help you out a whole lot in these games.
TPFAP is some to be considered though of course.

silversurfer
11-17-2004, 02:03 PM
Thanks, guys.

I will definitely consider Harrington's book after it comes out, but I'm only looking at what's out there today.

You're right, NL (be it SnG's or small stakes) is my primary focus now, so I'll shy away from SSH for now - it seems to be aimed at limit play, correct?

What about TPFAP vs. ML poker by Ciaffone? It seems to be highly recommended as well - or is that also limit? If so, how about TPFAP vs PL + NL Hold 'Em(Ciaffone)? Also seems to be recommended, but is PL + NL really basic? Not looking for books geared towards total novices, either...

La Brujita
11-17-2004, 02:11 PM
FWIW if you are on a tight budget I would get PLNLH by Ciaffone first. It is not at all a basic book.

I like TPFAP and have read it at least 3-4 times but I don't think it is as detailed an effort as say HEFAP.

silversurfer
11-17-2004, 02:24 PM
Excellent, more good feedback. Final question then, La Brujita(or anyone else):

TPFAP or PLNL?

La Brujita
11-17-2004, 02:28 PM
In my opinion PLNLP is the easy first choice.

Another point to consider (and I don't have a good feel for the ethical boundaries of reading at Barnes and Noble) is you can read sections of TPFAP at the bookstore while you cannot for PLNLP.

Not trying to step on any toes with this suggestion. Off the top of my head, best sections of TPFAP are the gap concept, playing AK and the quizzes at the back.

Also, Mason rated PLNLP either a nine or a ten.

silversurfer
11-17-2004, 02:33 PM
Cool. Sounds like NLPL is a winner for now, then. Thanks again to everyone.