PDA

View Full Version : making a move

09-25-2001, 10:54 AM
NL holdem, Blinds 400-800, (50 ante), 34 people left at 4 tables (Only top 3 pay). I have ~5600 at middle seat (little below average stack size). Seat in front of me raises 2000. I have AQx.

My read on this guy is he has a hand but not a great one. I know the blinds are going up soon so I figure I do not have a lot of time to build my stack. AQ is not a great hand but is the best I have seen in awhile. I figure I am pot committed if I call so I raise all-in. How bad a play is this? Flame away.

Thanks.

09-25-2001, 12:16 PM
It's not too bad but on balance there are enough reasons to fold usually. Mainly, it seems that you don't have enough chips to make him fold so you are going to go to a showdown. In addition, he is not in a steal position and (presumably) these are not his last chips so he is not getting desperate. Also you have to worry about people behind you, if you were in the BB and everyone else folded it would be a lot closer.

Against some players who love to raise with any Ace I would consider going all-in but normally no, I would wait for a chance to get my money in first for that extra chance to win when everyone folds (and with 1600 in blinds and antes that's a good haul). Of course you are right to say that calling is not a good move.

Andy.

09-25-2001, 12:20 PM
I don't think it is a bad play. If your stack is bigger compared to the blinds/antes then I would fold.

If your AQ is AK, then it is the obvious play that most players would make. If you are going to play it I like raising all-in since there is a chance the player will fold most small and maybe medium pairs and bad aces. Of course if you are called you are probably at best 50-50 or in trouble. If the raiser has an extra big stack he will probably call you with weaker hands as well.

Knowing your opponent is an important of course. If he only raises with AA, KK, QQ & AK then fold.

Ken Poklitar