PDA

View Full Version : Giving away info?

09-24-2001, 02:37 PM
I played in a tournament yesterday and held Ks Jd in late position. Two early position players bet, I called, SB & BB called. The flop came 3d Js 8d. Early position players checked, I bet, the remaining four players called. The turn came for a Kc. Play checked to me, I bet, SB folded, BB called and the other two players folded. The river came for a 2d. BB checked, I bet, he called. I turned over my hand and said without thinking, "Unless you have a flush, I've got two pair." As soon as the words were out of my mouth, I thought why did I say that?

This player will try for a flush with any two samll suited cards. I've seen him hit a flush with 2,7 suited from two off the big blind. From his check on the river without a raise I knew he didn't have a flush, but I realized I had now given him info on me. If the situation came up again, he could re-raise me for a flush bluff. I would have called a raise with this hand since I know his play, but still, I didn't like giving out info I don't have to. He's not a good enough player to use this information against me yet -- too much of a maniac for right now -- I took the pot, but I was wondering if many of you consider this to be a super no-no?

I figure I could use this to my advantage in the future by meekly calling when I had a flush and making him thing I had two pair or trips, but that's a play for down the road. Comments?

09-24-2001, 02:50 PM
Maybe I am missing something.

You bet and he called on the river. You are obligated to show your hand 1st which you did. Sure by saying flush is good, there is a very very very small chance he might have dumped a flush. I can't imagine what you said will have any bearing on his or anyone elses play against you.

Ken Poklitar

09-24-2001, 04:47 PM
I don't think it's too much of a problem in this case but it illustrates a general point. Careless talk costs chips ! It makes me laugh the players who hang on to their cards until they absolutely have to show them (or even beyond, hoping that their opponent will show first) to avoid "giving away information", and then blithely explain their "reasoning" to the entire table in the post-mortem.

You have three options when the panel start doing the play-by-play thing. 1) Keep it shut 2) Gently move the discussion along by prodding your opponents as to why they did this or that 3) (my favourite) tell blatant outright lies about your own play. Remember it is counterproductive to try to justify your play or show everyone how clever you are at the table. Tell us how clever you were the next day on the forum instead :-).

Andy.

09-24-2001, 06:53 PM
Double Play,

I think that it is incorrect to give away honest information about how you play at the table. Part of the process of playing poker is using deception to your advantage. The last impression you want to make at the table if for players to think you are a good player. In your situation, I would just show my hand, since you were called, because it does not give away any information on how well you read your opponent. One of the best impressions you can make at the table is to make them think you are an average predicable player. This will allow you at times to represent hands you don't have, and let you get away with bluffs.

Good Luck

Mark