PDA

View Full Version : AA hand in a tournament

09-24-2001, 02:03 PM
It's early in the tournament and the blinds are 30, 60. There are still a lot of poor players who play any two suited cards and Ax from any position. I was dealt AA immediately to the left of the BB (UTG?). I raised and the player to my right who bluffs a lot gives me a surprised look. A late position player calls, the SB calls and the BB calls as well. The flop comes 2 6 8 rainbow. I bet, late position calls, SB folds, BB calls. The next card is a 3. I bet, late position folds, BB calls. The river comes for a Q. There is no flush possibility on the board.

I bet, BB calls, and flips over 6,8 for two pair. I say nice hand and muck my cards face down to the dealer.

Comments? Should I have tried for a check raise at somepoint? I heard a couple of players mention that they weren't going to let anyone "Steal their blinds"; at this point in the tournament players don't respect position.

I realize that I'm going to lose hands like this -- I'm just wondering if I played it correctly.

09-24-2001, 02:35 PM
I think you played it fine.

Some people might say checking the river is better but against 1 player I think betting is correct. He may well have A8 and is hoping you have AK.

As far as check-raising, if I was your opponent I would have check-raised you. You really have no opportunity to check-raise this hand. You are the initial raiser. You have no expectation someone will bet if you check.

And I wouldn't worry about other players comments. An UTG raise in a full table is not normally a steal!

"I raised and the player to my right who bluffs a lot gives me a surprised look"

This statement may be important. Does this imply you rarely raise? Don't play so tight that when you raise they know you have a big pair.

Ken Poklitar