PDA

View Full Version : tournament situation

09-22-2001, 10:18 PM
I would appreciate a reply or so to a situation which could occur in a tournament.... Consider a no limit holdem tournament which is down to three tables (27 players) when a ten minute break is declared (nine players per table):

(also in California tournaments, all seats with players are delt pocket cards even if some of the players have not yet returned to play or are not at the table)

Play starts again after the break. At one of the tables in which the player in seat 9 (button) has not yet returned. Players in seats 3 and 4 fold. The player in seat 5 makes a sizable bet of three big blinds. Players 6, 7, and 8 fold. At this last second, the button seat 9 player appears and says time. Seat 9 looks at his/her pocket pocket cards and raises with a monster bet which would put seat 5 all in. The SB and BB fold.

My question is: This situation is not completely fair because holdem is a position game and player 9 was not at the table when seat 8 folded. Any comments?

09-23-2001, 02:31 AM
Well, if you can get blinded out for not being there, and cards are dealt to you, and you show up before they're mucked to play your cards, technically, I think it'd stand as long as before it's mucked...I'd be looking if I were player 8 to see if player 9 shows up..

realistically, player 8's position doesn't change at all, since he (or she) is at the same spot in relation to the button. If he or she could even get a tell from player 9 as to their intention to raise, I'd still be doing the same thing.

What kind of a reason would a person have for staying in for a massive bet if 3 blinds where too much? The only thing I can think is that the player was short stacked and wanted 2-3 callers before he went all in...and he feels he might have limped in if player 9 looked like he was going to play, but you know...you didn't know player 9 was going to play anyway - unless they have tells on their sleeve, but it's still not wrong to be late back to the table esp. after a break if cards are dealt to you.

operational word there is "before they're mucked"

RB

but that's only $0.02

09-23-2001, 05:00 PM
seems to me that if 8 folded without 9 being there, then he would have been even more likely to fold had 9 been there???

either way, i do not see this as unfair...and to handle any other way might be even more so???

09-24-2001, 11:00 AM
Listen to this:

Stud tournament at NEPC. We are back from a break. Antes are placed by the dealer for a player that is absent from the table. Cards are dealt. The forced bring-in with the 2s is the guy that is away. The dealer can't muck his cards and places the forced bet for him. A couple of players call, no raise. 4th street the invisible player receives the As and it is his turn to act when he returns to the table. He looks at his pocket cards and decides to play. 5th street he receives the 5s.

What hole cards did he have ? 3s and 4s. Straight-flush!

Next stud tournament, I'm playing from the bathroom. :-)

If I remember correctly it was Vince that reported this hand. Look in the archives for the correct cards and action.

09-24-2001, 01:12 PM
Seat 5 needs to be careful because seat 9 could be lurking /images/smile.gif

Ken Poklitar