PDA

View Full Version : Hand from a cash game last night.

trumpman84
11-17-2004, 10:13 AM
Blinds .25/.50

My stack is quite large (just busted opponent by setting a trap with KK by smooth calling in the BB when he raised 4 dollars, then checking in the dark, inducing him to go all in on the flop with pocket 9s)

Anyway I have $45.00 (bought in for $20.00)
He has about $8.00 (on his 2nd rebuy of $10.00) He is tight aggressive with some loose aggresive tendencies (heh..don't we all).

He raise to $1.25 total from early position and in the SB I have pocket 5's...call as well as the big blind. Flop is

K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked to the raiser who bets $1.00. This bet smells fishy to me, it's rather small. It could be he's trying to buy the pot after raising pre-flop or is underbetting the pot because he wants a call. I decide to call and see what happens on the turn (I like this line a lot as it will cause stone cold bluffers to slow down without risking more chips and the possibility of a re-raise)
The turn pairs the board king K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, and check again.

Opponent sits there for a minute..acts like he's counting up his chips, then checks behind. At this point, I think my 5's are good.

River is a 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, a safe card to what I think is a winning hand, however, I don't want to bet here as I'll only get called by a better hand and by checking here, I can maybe induce a bluff. I check. Opponent bets $2.50. I think I have the hand figured out at this point and think it's a last desperation bluff at this medium sized pot, and call.

What do you think of my line of thinking here? as well as my betting on this hand? Is there any place where I should of raised or folded?, or do you play it the same?

phil_ivey_fan
11-17-2004, 11:36 AM
I really like your thinking...

is that a standard raise...1.5xBB?

I think you are looking at AQ and lower...def doesn't have the K unless he's a retard.

Tilt
11-17-2004, 02:25 PM
Well played I think.

You could have taken it down with a turn bet and not risked tat he hit something on the river, but you would get less in the pot.

And I like check calling the river bluff. Check raise can get you into trouble with no upside.

swolfe
11-17-2004, 03:33 PM
i might actually have made a pot size bet on the turn. if he has a king, he raises and you get away, and if he doesn't have a king, then he'll fold and you'll take the pot right there.

seems to me like you were a little passive with the hand.

creedofhubris
11-18-2004, 08:59 AM
If he's tilting, you should have a good chance of beating him with real hands rather than making reads like this.

I think you should've bet the turn if you thought he had no king.