PDA

View Full Version : A question or 2 from a new tournament player

09-20-2001, 08:55 AM
Just recently started playing tournaments (on Paradise) but soon at the Taj or Trop next time I'm down there when one is taking place.

Anyway, I would really appreciate a few comments suggestions on how different your game needs to be at these tournaments.

Paradise, for example, is a one-table tournament, go until one person has everything. It starts out 10-handed, and I tend to play the first couple rounds like I would any other ring game. I have the same starting hand requirements, and pay close attention to position. And I feel the game behaves very similarly to a ring game until we lose a couple players.

One problem that I seem to be having is that unless I get great cards, I stay right around where I started (800 in chips), and end up against 2 or 3 players who all have 1500+ in chips. They just lean on me and unless I get extremely lucky, knock me out, especially with the blinds killing me.

I would just like to hear any comments on how different you need to play later in the tournament when it's down to 4 or 5 handed. Is bluffing a big part of the game at this point, and does it actually work? I appreciate any response at all. Thanks,

Charlie

P.S. I came in second in the second tournament I played, but I can't seem to get back in the money.

09-20-2001, 06:15 PM
When 4-5 players are left you have to play aggressively when you hold a decent hand (such as any ace-x) especially vs short stack players who want to take a shot for the money places.

In live tournaments, the problem in my opinion is different because the prizes dictate your moves and you face a lot of good players. For instance, in the most part of tourneys, the prizes schedule for the winner is the double of the runner up and the third catch only a quarter. Of course, with a decent stack, you have to play for the first place whereas in Paradise the main problem is finishing in the first 3 seats (it seems the final 3 handed hands are a bingo play.

Marco

09-20-2001, 07:05 PM
"I would just like to hear any comments on how different you need to play later in the tournament when it's down to 4 or 5 handed. Is bluffing a big part of the game at this point, and does it actually work? I appreciate any response at all. Thanks,"

YES

that is all,

dannyboy :o)

09-21-2001, 08:52 AM
Yes bluffing becomes a big part of the game when it is 4 or 5 handed. I assume you are up to level 4 or 5 by this point so the blinds are large.

Pick a good hand, play it aggressively and hope to win without a showdown. Try any pair, Ax or a big K. Raise before and on the flop and only drop if you are up against serious action. Also try and pick on the players you think will fold if they don't hit the flop.

Try and get to a stack of about 1500 to 2000. Then you can play tight and try and limp into the money. Once you are in 3rd place, luck and aggression will hopefully get you into the top spot.

Hope this helps.

Daniel