PDA

View Full Version : How should I play KJ?

dcgreen0725
11-17-2004, 05:56 AM
What type of raises should I come in with when playing KJ, if any at all? What type of raises should I call? IE double, triple, etc....Or give some ways to play that hand...

pshreck
11-17-2004, 06:15 AM
Fold it just about always... becomes a good stealing hand later, but thats about it.

A J Carisse
11-17-2004, 07:19 AM
KJ is playable early if there are NO raises (which would mean you only play this in the top 1/2 if the game is really passive). You don't want to be in there with better hands, because this is easily dominated by typical raise hands. Now that's a general statement - if there aren't too many callers, the callers tend to call raises loosely, and the raiser doesn't often need a good hand to raise (maniac or someone who raises on the button frequently, for instance), you might want to call.

A.J.

bucci
11-17-2004, 08:23 AM
My opinions,
in early position, muck it.

In late, if there are a lot of callers, call if it's suited.

In late, if there are no limpers, raise 3xBB. All preflop raises (assuming you're the first to hit it) should be 3xBB early on in the tournament...

Of course all of this depends on your chips. I'm assuming you have close to the starting amount +/- 15% at the time you chose to play this way. You'd need to adjust if otherwise...

late in the tournament (4-5 people left), you would usually try to steal the blinds+antes with it if the antes are in play. Especially on the button, shove it in. If you get called by Ax, you're still gonna win some of the time and it will guarantee you a money finish. (this depends on stack sizes..)

Of course, there's no standard way to play it. Sometimes it can be powerful, but mostly it just sucks. It's a marginal hand at best, so you don't want to be calling any raises with it. (unless you're trying to bust a really short stack)

There's a lot of different ways to play this hand. it always depends.. You'll never be able to play it correct 100% of the time. When in doubt, stay away from it.