PDA

View Full Version : Play near the bubble

09-19-2001, 07:00 PM
Over the weekend I played a nolimit holedm tournament on Saturday. There were 121 players entered each paying $330. They are paying 18 spots. There are 20 players remaining. The tables are 7handed, 7handed and 6handed respectively. I am at a 7handed table. All three of the short stacks are at my table. I have T850. The blinds are T100 and T200. I am in third position with pocket T's. One of the small stacks is to my left with T350. The other is in the BB with T1000 when the hand begins. What would you do?

On Sunday I played a limit holdem tournament where the sponsers added $25000 to the prize pool. They are paying 27 spots. 321 players. There are 31 players remaining. I am in 4th position with AT offsuit. I have T1800, The blinds are T200 and T400. The BB has T1400. No one has entered the pot. What would you do?

09-19-2001, 09:54 PM
It depends a lot upon who's at my table, etc., but more often than not, in both games, I would raise all-in.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

09-20-2001, 04:30 AM
Definitely go all-in with TT in the NL case. With only 8 BBs in front of me and 2 more hands before the blinds, this looks huge if no one has entered the pot yet. Some people prefer to try to last out the small stacks, but don't forget, there is a good chance that you will take down the blinds which will help you do this. Add the chance that TT will win and double up if called and this is a clear raise IMO.

I will defer on the limit hand which I think is closer, you might well have enough chips for another circuit in this spot.

Andy.

09-21-2001, 09:03 AM
I agree with Andy and would raise all-in on the first one.

Second one I would tend to raise as well. You have a reasonable chance of winning the blinds, but if called you could be in serious trouble. I assume there are 8 at the table so there are still 4 people after you who could call plus the blinds. If one of the players after you calls you could well be dominated and need to get lucky. As usual, your post flop play will be determined the type of player who calls.

Daniel (A long time lurker)

09-21-2001, 09:54 AM

09-24-2001, 12:55 PM
On the 1st one I would raise all-in with TT.

On the 2nd one I most likely fold with AT. If the blinds are about to increase I would raise. If players are playing very tight I may also raise.

So what happened?

Ken Poklitar

09-25-2001, 01:46 AM
Idid raise allin with the TT's. I ran into AA's. Iraised with AT. I was called by the BB. He held KQo. The folp came Q76 with two spades. Idecided to call his bet as I held an overcard and possibly two overcards. Ialso had backdoor strait and backdoor flush potential. An Aof spades came on the turn. I put this player allin by betting two chips. A fourth spade comes on the river. I hold the T of spades my opponent holds the K of spades. I am left with 4 chips. Three hands later I post these in the BB. By the way the limits had just been raised two hands prior to this one. It is my experience that players play too tight at this level. I think my chances of stealing the blinds were excellant. I just ran into a calling hand that had nowhere else to go.