PDA

View Full Version : Question - Sumo vs. Jujitsu

Men the Master
11-17-2004, 02:48 AM
Last time I asked who you guys would pick in a no-holds barred fight between Olympic gold medal winning wrestler Rulon Gardner versus an Olympic gold medal judo fighter named Yoshida. You guys convinced me the latter would win.

Now, it just got announced that on the same card a 500 pound sumo wrestler named Akebono will be fighting a 180 pound jujitsu fighter name Royce Gracie. Who do you think will win? I pick the 500 pounder, of course!

Where can I make a bet on this thing?

wacki
11-17-2004, 02:53 AM
My money is on Gracie. I've seen that stuff live. I still can't get over how easily those guys can break bones with a simply joint-lock or hold.

Boris
11-17-2004, 03:21 AM
Royce Gracie is still fighting? He was the baddest of the bad back in the day. I would pick Gracie.

Ulysses
11-17-2004, 04:01 AM
In these matches, the big sumo guy always loses.

bdk3clash
11-17-2004, 04:14 AM
MMA fights are more about the fighters than their "style" per se. One of the boring but true facts of fighting is that conditioning matters a lot, and a big fat sumo dude will gas very easily. Gracie has fought (and defeated) much heavier opponents in the past, though not as heavy as a sumo dude.

I'm sure his opponent will crosstrain and all, but he's toast. Gracie should be at least an 8:1 favorite.

Rounder041
11-17-2004, 04:51 AM
Ok, the 500 pounder wins, its so obvious. Dont tell me you guys don't know of the game Street Fighter? Anyone want to play me for a million bucks? I'll take E. Honda, you can have the rest of the guys put together, sumo guys are unstoppable, video games do not lie. Especially Street Fighter.

J_V
11-17-2004, 04:54 AM
Ah hem, Chun Li.

NLSoldier
11-17-2004, 04:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, the 500 pounder wins, its so obvious. Dont tell me you guys don't know of the game Street Fighter? Anyone want to play me for a million bucks? I'll take E. Honda, you can have the rest of the guys put together, sumo guys are unstoppable, video games do not lie. Especially Street Fighter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point. On a related note: Anyone wanna play me in Dead or Alive 3 for a million bucks? Ill take Christina you can have anyone else. She is such a copy of E. Honda except that game is cooler cause you can use it to re-name your Xbox.

Rounder041
11-17-2004, 05:00 AM
E. Honda, no question, you telling me you've taken out E. Honda? You are lying and I can tell, E.Honda is unstoppable, back in the day we would have Street Fighter tournaments, after about 2 tournaments, we would just put our money in the prize pool, draw a Street Fighter character from a hat, and whoever got E. Honda would take the prize pool and the rest of us would sigh. We wouldn't bother playing, there was no point. E. Honda by a landslide.

nicky g
11-17-2004, 06:36 AM
Let us know the result. Who won the first fight, the Judo guy or the wrestler?

Iceman
11-17-2004, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Last time I asked who you guys would pick in a no-holds barred fight between Olympic gold medal winning wrestler Rulon Gardner versus an Olympic gold medal judo fighter named Yoshida. You guys convinced me the latter would win.

Now, it just got announced that on the same card a 500 pound sumo wrestler named Akebono will be fighting a 180 pound jujitsu fighter name Royce Gracie. Who do you think will win? I pick the 500 pounder, of course!

Where can I make a bet on this thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a martial arts series in Japan called "Pride" that actually matches fighters from very different styles. Sumo is a sport rather than a serious fighting art, and you won't see any sumo wrestlers competing in mixed martial arts competitions - they would be destroyed. The object is basically to push your opponent out of a circle or throw him down on the ground and that's all they can do really - the fatter guy wins 90% of the time and strength and technique are only minor factors. The jujitsu champion would just run behind the sumo wrestler and get the sumo's arm in a lock, ending the fight. Olympic-style wrestlers tend to do well against karate or taekwondo fighters, since the wrestler can get the karate fighter into a hold quickly and neutralize any ability of that fighter to actually get any real hand or foot strikes off. But sumo wrestlers are far too slow to be competitive against a real fighter, and the best sumo wrestlers are in fact the slowest and largest.

Topflight
11-17-2004, 10:40 AM
When and where can we see Gracie beat up the fat kid?

Senor Choppy
11-17-2004, 12:01 PM
I don't know where you read this, but someone is confused. I don't think Royce fights anymore and I doubt Akebono does either.

It's a fighter from the Royce Gracie school (Aitor Canup) vs. a student of Akebono (Kurt Kippa). Royler Gracie is also fighting on the card, but this is a different person entirely (cousin I think).

MMMMMM
11-17-2004, 12:08 PM
Sorry I missed that thread; as long as the wrestler cross-trained a bit, and all else being equal, I would put my money on the wrestler over the judo guy.

Here's why:

Standing: A judoka cannot easily, if at all, throw a wrestler when the wrestler is in semi-crouch/attack position. A wrestler however can do a leg dive and easily take down a judoka, though. What's more, there is no real counter for this in judo since leg dives are not permitted in sport judo. You have to use wrestling to counter it, period--or else perhaps get into striking, bujt that is a different subject. Look how dominant Ken (Kevin?) Shamrock was in "Shootfighting"--which I would presume is basically using leg dives to take down your opponent, followed by wrestling.

Mat work: wrestling techniques are again superior. All the wrestler has to do is learn some basic joint locks and chokes to be on a nearly even footing with the judoka in that department. Wrestlers however are much better at gaining the dominant position. Once they learn leg control and not trying to pin, they should be able to work over most judokas pretty well on the mat.

My wrestling skills helped me more in winning judo matches than my judo skills helped me in winning judo matches, and that was even while playing under judo rules.

Wrestling > judo overall IMO, though both have their particular strengths.

Regarding Akebono vs. Gracie, I have no idea, but I'd be inclined to favor on the 500 pounder.

Topflight
11-17-2004, 01:42 PM
Sumo wrestling seems vastly different than wrestling.

Also, this just popped into my head, what happened to the "karate chop."

hahaha, does anyone still chop.

nicky g
11-17-2004, 01:47 PM
I think the Judo guy has cross trained and the wrestler hasn't, from what I remember of Men's initial post. Which would incline me to favour the Judo guy.

Boris
11-17-2004, 01:53 PM
This makes much more sense. Royce was the friggin man. I couldn't see him coming out of retirement to fight a sumo guy.

M2d
11-17-2004, 01:56 PM
I agree that Gracie is/was the man, but Akebono is a 500 lb Samoan. I might lay off, but no way would I bet against a huge Samoan.

cockandbull
11-17-2004, 01:56 PM
when is this match happening?

Matt Flynn
11-17-2004, 02:02 PM
Akebono vs. Royce Gracie sounds like a spoof. Both are too old and long retired.

However, were that event to happen, I would be most interested in the Vegas line. I would, given anything remotely resembling fair odds, lay five or ten dimes on that fight. The winner is obvious for anyone who has seen both.

Matt

hoyaboy1
11-17-2004, 02:11 PM
Akebono already fought once and got KTFO.