PDA

View Full Version : Stupid? NL HE

09-18-2001, 12:22 PM
No Limit Hold'Em tournament past the add-on. Blinds are 50-100, antes are 25. So there is 350 in dead money each hand (8 players at the table). I have 1500, a bit above the average stack size.

I get KQo in middle position; No one opens, so I open for 400. Gets around to the small blind who has a very large stack. He raises all in.

I muck, and one of the players at my table calls my play stupid. "You raise but you won't call a reraise, that's stupid..."

Maybe the blind was making a play, maybe he had something. But I don't want to go all in pre-flop with KQo (I want a chance to win!)

Up to that point I had been the tightest player at the table, so when I raised out in mid-position I had to be representing a hand. (I usually always go 4xBB as to not give my hand away).

Any thoughts?

Should I have made the raise bigger? Tried to limp? How many people call here?

09-18-2001, 12:36 PM
Don't worry about his comment. Always calling in No-Limit when you get re-raised sounds like a definition of stupid to me.

As for the particular hand, if the SB is a solid player then you are most probably correct to fold. Raising in the first place is dependent on a lot of things, such as, exactly how many people are behind you, how likely is anyone to flat call you and with what hands, how likely is anyone to reraise you and with what hands, and so on. It's a judgement call depending on the current game conditions. Sorry I can't be more specific. With say 4 players behind me, sometimes I will raise with KQ and sometimes I won't.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

09-18-2001, 12:47 PM
I think mucking is fine. Ignore the other player. Play your own game.

Ken Poklitar

09-18-2001, 02:43 PM
Andy and Ken are right.

Make a mental note that this player will probably not lay it down after he raised.

Also, make a mental note that this player is not good.

Exploit it.

I would have told him after that comment "yeah, I just did not want to call here with pocket fours." That'll make him think next time you raise, even if he does not believe you. And maybe the whole table too.

Nicolas Fradet (ThePrince)

09-18-2001, 02:44 PM

09-18-2001, 03:13 PM
On of the hardest things to do in Hold 'Em is learn when to lay down a good hand. I think your play is fine. Two things can happen here: you can lose all your chips to find out you were right, or 2) you can play the hand and win. Considering your position and chip count, I'd say you made the right call. Don't worry about what the other player said, he's probably going to bust out soon enough. How did you do in the tournament? And how did the other player who made the comment do?

09-18-2001, 10:21 PM
it really boils down to the group of hands you think that he would have that he would make this raise. you are getting about two to one for your call. if your chances of winning are better than that you should call if not fold. it has nothing to do with the hand that you hold.

also since the antes and blinds are high for what you have left this may have been the better spot to call rather than waiting and putting in your money with much less and even if winning finding yourself in a worse position than current. you will also be the blind soon. all this needs to be taken into consideration.

09-20-2001, 12:32 AM
I muck, and one of the players at my table calls my play stupid. "You raise but you won't call a reraise, that's stupid..."

The main thing you did wrong here was not laugh mockingly in the guy's face. As for the decision...who knows? It's poker...you have to make a judgement based on the guy's characteristics. There are some guys who I would fold like a shot if they did that even if it takes almost 25% of my stack with it. With your precarious situation though I would have seriously considered calling most players.

09-23-2001, 08:39 PM
No the correct response is "Oh yea? Well You're stupid."