PDA

View Full Version : Advice please NL tourny

09-17-2001, 03:04 AM
NL Holdem Tourny, 110 players starting with 5000 in chips, top 10 get paid, down to last 3 tables (9 per table), blinds 500-1000 with 100 ante, I have 10000 and am third to speak. First two players fold, I have KdJd and raise to 4000. All fold to cutoff who raises allin with 18000. Fold back to me. Cutoff is good, solid, aggressive player. I feel I am behind (perhaps way behind) but call all in mainly because of the pot odds and also a small glimmering hope that he as TT or 99. He turns over AA and wins the hand and I am out.

Was my initial raise given my stack size with this hand in this position correct?

Was my call of the buttons reraise correct under the circumstances? (I completely did not think that he had also to be concerned with the players behind him to make this reraise thus increasing the chances that he had a premium hand).

09-17-2001, 09:18 AM
You're getting close to 3:1 on the call, so the only hands you fear are AA and KK. However, it seems like there is a pretty good chance he has one of those, given the situation and your description of him as solid. So, your call of his reraise is marginal at best, but may not be wrong given how short your stack is getting. Gambling here might be better than folding and waiting for another hand, as you may get blinded down pretty far before you find a good one.

The mistake, IMO, is the initial raise. Unless the table has been playing very tight, and there is a very good chance you'll steal the blinds, KJ just isn't enough. Wait for something stronger.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

09-17-2001, 02:56 PM
I think with 10k and the blinds it is best to fold KJs in early position. There are 4 players plus the blinds after you. Being that you did raise 4000 seems reasonable since there are antes.

Once you are re-raised you know you are in trouble. The worst hand I can imagine your opponent having is AK or maybe TT. Fold you still have 6k.

Ken Poklitar