PDA

View Full Version : Valdimir Guerrero Gets the Nod

Zeno
11-16-2004, 11:38 PM
AL MVP (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20041116&content_id=913843&vkey=n ews_mlb&fext=.jsp)

Does he deserve it?

Did Bonds deserve the NL MVP?

Does anyone care?

-Zeno

NLSoldier
11-16-2004, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone care?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the fact that you had to ask this answers the question for you.

GuyOnTilt
11-16-2004, 11:47 PM
Does he deserve it?

Yes.

Without a doubt.

GoT

ArchAngel71857
11-17-2004, 12:03 AM

They should just do everyone a favor and rename it "Player with the best stats."

Much like the Heisman trophy should be renamed "Best QB/RB on the best team."

-AA

andyfox
11-17-2004, 12:32 AM
Yes, he deserves it. I had favored Manny up until the final month, when Vlad virtually single-handedly drove his team into the playoffs. I too would have voted Manny for 2nd place and Sheffield 3rd.

Yes, Bonds deserved the NL MVP. I too would have voted Beltre for 2nd place and Pujols 3rd.

I care.

I see George Steinbrenner met with Pedro Martinez today. A meeting of two more despicable individuals hasn't taken place since Hitler met with Stalin. OK, I jest. But only slightly. I wonder what Pedro opened with. One imagines he asked George, "Do you want to be my daddy?" /images/graemlins/wink.gif

JimRivett
11-17-2004, 12:53 AM
Well we discussed the MVP thing today and as you know I was a little disappointed that Bonds got the award, personally I would like to have seen Beltre get it (you have to understand that I'm a Dodger fan!), so I guess that I care.

I see George Steinbrenner met with Pedro Martinez today. A meeting of two more despicable individuals hasn't taken place since Hitler met with Stalin. OK, I jest. But only slightly

Come on Andy, I bet you know more than two Commerce players, who sit at the same table on almost a daily basis, that are just as (if not more) despicable than Pedro or Steinbrenner.

On a somewhat off subject note, about 10 years ago, when my son was in high school, the school brought in Stalin's translator to give a talk to the school. Apparently he was the only person still alive to have spoken to both of these individuals - Hitler and Stalin. As you can imagine his comments on the both of them was not flattering.

Jim

Zeno
11-17-2004, 12:57 AM
I also scanned the reports about Pedro and George exchanging mild banter and intellectual pleasantries. The discussion was, I'm sure, of the highest caliber - money wise that is.

I do recall you mentioning about Manny vs. Vladimir in some long ago baseball post in the pre second-term Bush Era. It all seems so long ago and far away for some reason.

Your points are pithy and right on as usual. I also think Vladimir deserved to Win. I could quibble a bit about Bonds but my baseball acumen is not up to par with the baseball giants the purse this forum. He probably did deserve to win also. The MVP Award, afterall, is not parsed out on looks or personality or lack of swagger or, etc and etc.

-Zeno

Rounder041
11-17-2004, 05:07 AM
Im with GoT on this one. Barry Bonds is undoubtably the best hitter ever. He is unstoppable, you either pitch to him and he hits it into McCovey cove, or you walk him, he gets on base, does a little dominating, and score, OR he just DOMINATES overall, and is clearly the MVP.

CCass
11-17-2004, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

They should just do everyone a favor and rename it "Player with the best stats."

-AA

[/ QUOTE ]

Except one year where ESPN decided it would be cool if some DB won the award when he only touched the ball about 40 times all year, robbing Peyton Manning of the award he truly deserved.

Yes I am a University of Tennessee fan, and no I am not bitter. Okay maybe a little bit, but I will get over it.

ArchAngel71857
11-17-2004, 10:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-AA

[/ QUOTE ]

Except one year where ESPN decided it would be cool if some DB won the award when he only touched the ball about 40 times all year, robbing Peyton Manning of the award he truly deserved.

Yes I am a University of Tennessee fan, and no I am not bitter. Okay maybe a little bit, but I will get over it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Peyton's problems in college are the same as in pros: Can't win the big game.

But yeah, Woodson's heisman was a sham. Thier argument was that he played defense, offense, and special teams. Yet Champ Bailey for UGA, the VERY NEXT YEAR had more receptions than Woodson, better punt return average, and I think better D stats. Yet you didn't hear his name at all.

Don't even get me started on ESPN or as I call it the Boston city newspaper.

-AA

Toro
11-17-2004, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone care?

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't take credit for this, heard it on the radio. Is Bond's record 7th MVP award causing him to have a swelled head? No, that's from the roids.

ArchAngel71857
11-17-2004, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone care?

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha

-AA

I can't take credit for this, heard it on the radio. Is Bond's record 7th MVP award causing him to have a swelled head? No, that's from the roids.

[/ QUOTE ]

ThaSaltCracka
11-17-2004, 11:47 AM
I would just like to point out that this year the baseball writers of America got all three major awards right for each league. This is truely an astounding feat.

VBM
11-17-2004, 12:11 PM
i'll leave the stats to the other guys, but a quick story about Vlad;

the Angels came to town early last year and Pinero had him like 1-2 or 2-2. Wilson called for a slider trying to get him to chase something a batter couldn't do too much damage to.

Pinero throws him the slider and it breaks over the plate but about at Vlad's shoetops.

Guerrero swings the bat like a golfer teeing off and hits a home run to dead center; the biggest part of Safeco Field. If he missed, I think Wilson would've been digging the ball out of the dirt.

Everyone knew right when he made contact that the park had no chance of holding it, and literally as the ball's rocketing off the bat, Joel Pinero threw both arms up to the catcher as if to say, "should i throw it *behind* him?!"

I dont' know if that was a defining moment for the Angels, but it definitely set the losing tone for the entire Mariners season...all courtesy of your AL MVP.

But never fear...Ritchie Sexson, welcome back home to the Pacific NW... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ThaSaltCracka
11-17-2004, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But never fear...Ritchie Sexson, welcome back home to the Pacific NW...

[/ QUOTE ] WTF, did this happen?

VBM
11-17-2004, 12:45 PM
d'oh...i didn't mean it was official, but the rumors (a la Jayson Stark on KJR) are that:

1. Sexson wants to play here (he's from like, eastern WA or something)

2. The agreement is in-place under the table...

ThaSaltCracka
11-17-2004, 01:04 PM
I don't think its going to happen, and I hope it doesn't.

VBM
11-17-2004, 01:50 PM
no? i think if you want some 1st-base pop, it's him or delgado...

ThaSaltCracka
11-17-2004, 02:04 PM
I don't want to waste money on a posistion like first base, because you can always find someone just like those clowns for cheaper. 1st base might be one of the most over valued posistions in baseball.

Toro
11-17-2004, 02:16 PM
Easy solution to your 1st base problem. Either Menkievitch or Millar, your choice, for a couple of prospects that might turn out to be the next Lowe and/or Varitek.

ThaSaltCracka
11-17-2004, 02:39 PM
[censored] you /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

seriously, 1st base is so over saturated with players. I see almost no reason to spend big bucks there, on anyone.

VBM
11-17-2004, 02:57 PM
interesting. just for giggles, if you could go back in time, would you, with your pretend-Mariner GM hat on, have done baltimore's deal with Tejada?

andyfox
11-17-2004, 02:57 PM
Good point. They rarely bat 1.000.

ThaSaltCracka
11-17-2004, 03:07 PM
Yes I would have, and I would have moved Guillen to 3B, having a very productive 2B, SS, or 3B is far harder to come by then a productive 1B.

VBM
12-13-2004, 03:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
d'oh...i didn't mean it was official, but the rumors (a la Jayson Stark on KJR) are that:

1. Sexson wants to play here (he's from like, eastern WA or something)

2. The agreement is in-place under the table...

[/ QUOTE ]

see? (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/203477_mari13.html)

nothumb
12-13-2004, 05:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Easy solution to your 1st base problem. Either Menkievitch or Millar, your choice, for a couple of prospects that might turn out to be the next Lowe and/or Varitek.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

WOOOOT!