PDA

View Full Version : Using pokertracker to plug the leaks

wall_st
11-16-2004, 11:36 PM
I have recently decided to play mainly SnGs, through playing about 100 I have compiled some reasonable stats in my poker tracker. But unlike in limit I have no idea where to look to see if I have any leaks in my game. Any suggestions as to what to look at and comparisions of my stats to what I should be doing ?

I do believe I have some leaks currently and I beleive that most of these leaks are from post flop play. I have also noticed that my ITM stats are rather low, once again any posts or resources to help figure out some of my problems would do a great service.

thanks

reecelights
11-17-2004, 12:53 AM
Poker Tracker has at times been VERY helpful to me, and at other times not at all helpful in finding leaks. Sometimes spreadsheets can't tell you everything. Before you analyze your play, you first need to know what your normal stats are like, especially when you were playing well.

This is what I do...I figure out when the slump started and go to the "Preferences" tab. I enter that date in the "Since a Date" option.

I tend to check basic stats first: VP$IP, Aggression. Pretty self explanatory

Next some secondary stats: Steal Attempts (should be about 25-30% IMO), Won$WSF, Went to SD, W$ at SD. Are you stealing too much, getting in too many showdowns or making bad calls at showdowns?

Then I look at what hands I played at each level making sure I'm gradually loosening up a bit as people go out.

If I find nothing, I check hand histories. Double Click on a specific tourney that you did not finish ITM or that you thought you should have won. I look at the last hand, or hand near the end when I lost the majority of my remaining stack. I'll also look at a major turning point hand earlier where I lost over half my stack. Look for flaws in those hands first.

If nothing jumps out at you, you probably need to replay a couple of tourneys. Are you using sound judgement against the differnt types of players?

Keep in mind that, again, stats aren't everything. Also think about what exterior factors may be influencing your game. Are you more tired? Is the TV on? Music? Etcetera.

Leave yourself at least two hours. You don't want to skim. Some of my longest losing streaks have come from quickly checking to make sure my stats look normal.

Good luck!
Chuck