PDA

View Full Version : 3-handed PP tourney question

09-14-2001, 05:18 PM
I recently encountered the following 3-handed PP $10 tournement situation. I was SB with appx 1500 in chips. The BB was by far the table leader with 6000 chips, with the remaining chips on the button (500). We were at 600/1200, and the button called all-in. Since I had already posted 300, and there was about 1400 in the pot, I called the remaining 300 with 9d10d. My reasoning was that if I got a good flop, I might be able to get enough chips to try to make a move on the leader. Also, I increased the chance that either I or the leader would beat the all-in player. Since 3rd paid $20, 2nd $30, and 1st $50, and I was so far behind in chips, it made sense to try to increase my shot at 2nd. Alas, I flopped 2 pair and the leader turned a straight. I was all-in myself by that point, the straight held up and I received 2nd place. Should I have folded BTF, and hope that the chip leader beats the all-in? Does it make sense to limp in to try to increase the number of opponents for an all-in player when you are in the money?

09-14-2001, 06:59 PM
I would not want to play this hand 3 handed. In fact, I would not want to play any hand 3 handed at this point. Your point about increasing the chances one of you busts the all-in only applies if you are 100% sure the player with more chips and position on you does not try to push you out of the pot after the flop (or even before--are you willing to call if he raises?).

As is often the case, calling is the worst option. In general you want to play hands heads-up with the all-in or get out at this point. Specifically, when you have a very marginal hand like T9s you have very little chance of getting a great flop and knowing you can beat the player who now has position on you, lots of chips and a random hand. How do you define "a good flop" in your post. If you mean two pair or better, your chances are about 28:1.

You need to fold and hope the BB wins. If you have a good hand you need to raise and hope the BB folds and you beat the all-in. You *might* consider calling if you have AA or KK and are prepared for the fact that your trap might cost you your stack.

KJS

09-14-2001, 10:54 PM
You played the hand very well.

This is the perfect spot to gang up on the low stack. If you were to play all-in, knowing the chip leader would call, it's still better to play than to fold here.

With 3 players, there are 6 possible orders of finish. With 2 players (short stack and big stack), there are only 2. So, if you sit out, half the time you lock up 2nd, and half the time you become the short stack. If you play, 1/3 of the time you win, lock up 2nd, and get a good stack of chips. 1/3 of the time the big stack wins, you lock up 2nd, but cannot win. Finally, 1/3 of the time the short stack wins. Half of those times you beat the big stack, and still come out ahead on the hand, even though the short stack is now much closer. Finally, the other half of the time, 1 hand in 6, you lose to the big stack, and finish in 3rd.

It certainly seems to me like you do better this way.

If you fold, you lose EV, because you don't have the edge of ganging up on the all-in. If you raise, you often lose the big stack (and thus the ganging up edge), and when you don't lose the big stack, you're almost always behind (and now for more money).

I've been in spots like this many times, and ganging up on the all-in is often the best play. If the other guy knows that, he won't bet unless he makes a hand strong enough that he wants you to call.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)