PDA

View Full Version : Double Shootouts vs. Standard Multitable

theBruiser500
11-16-2004, 11:14 PM
What do these different formats favor? My friend pointed out that double shootouts are bad for LAG's cause the big stacks they build up or go bust, they don't carry to the final table. I just realized it favors good shorthanded players because you play shorthanded twice to win, not just once as in a normal multi table. What else?

theBruiser500
11-17-2004, 01:36 PM
bump

Boris
11-17-2004, 02:14 PM
I think if you can get in a multi-table format that pays more than 10 seats you are better off with that format. If you get near the money, most of the time you don't have to play great poker. You can just wait for other people to make mistakes.

The Double shoot-out format does give an advantage to tight players, however, in my experience the players are much stronger in the double shoot-out and this increases the luck factor considerably.

La Brujita
11-17-2004, 02:20 PM
I am not 100% sure but I think double shootouts might favor cash game nl players since tournament considerations play less of a part in a winner take all format. This is a point for discussion not a statement of fact-I barely play nl cash games.

I have never been convinced that winner take all single events play exactly like a cash game. M.B.E had a thread about this point a while back.

This is an obvious point but double shootouts favor players who have played thousands of sit and gos since they know the rhythms of the final table better than anyone.

One other perhaps semi obvious point after playing a bunch of turbo rebuy satellites: playing in the final fifth of a satellite multi is a much different animal than a regular multi and is a skill that has to be learned through experience like any poker skill.

woodguy
11-17-2004, 02:29 PM
I think you hit it on the head with the short handed play.

It also favours the good SnG player who knows when to ramp up the aggressiveness as the blinds rise.

The effect of having the table shrink while the blinds rise creates a dynamic that is not present in MTTs.

Often you'll see a typical MTT player waiting too long for good hands and become shortstacked and forced into all in mode before the other aggressive players who have stolen blinds and bluffed a couple of good pots and have a usable stack.

The opposite side of that coin is the MTT player who knows they have to be more aggressive in this format, but they take it too far.
I have also played against good MTT players (like Rabscuttle) who get too aggressive early and play marginal hands for large % of their stacks when they are still very deep in relation to the blinds, and end up getting shortstacked early as a thinking opponent isn't wagering their stack this early without a strong hand.

Good knowledge of how to play the short stack is also an asset.
Its not uncommon to make a mistake or get sucked out for a good chunk of your stack, but knowlege of the when to wield the shortstack can get you right back in it.
(the 2nd last one of these I played, I was the shortstack with a full table, and still ended up being HU for the trip)

In all, I would say that you are favoured if you can:

1) Play well shorthanded (including having decent HU game)
2) Change gears quickly as the SnG format dictates
4) Good knowledge of how to play the shortstack
3) Smart aggressive play in position to help your stack keep up with the blinds.

Regards,
Woodguy