PDA

View Full Version : Phil Hellmuth's "Play Poker Like the Pros"

ddss6_99
11-16-2004, 09:32 PM
Was wondering if anyone read this book and what they thought of it. A friend of mine told me it was pretty good, but I want some other opinions. Thanks.

poboy
11-16-2004, 09:37 PM
It's a fantastic book........... if you run out of toilet paper. I am quite a fan of Hellmuth's, but this book is utter and useless garbage. Take the money you were going to spend on that and do anything with it and you will have spent it more wisely than on purchasing this book. If you're looking for good poker books, get something from 2+2 publishing.

floppednutz1
11-16-2004, 09:50 PM
His section on limit hold'em is a complete joke. I don't see how it would work.

Woody09
11-16-2004, 10:08 PM
A freind of mine really liked it.... because when ever someone played like phil suggested my friend cleaned up. I would also recomend a 2+2 book; or the clutier/mcevoy championship book

deacsoft
11-16-2004, 10:45 PM
This topic has been covered a million times. Try using the search option here on the forums. I'm sure you'll find plenty of information that way.

Brock Landers
11-17-2004, 01:24 AM
The BEST part of his book is the hand rankings. And those are some of the worst ideas I've ever heard of in poker.

I'll save you the $12.95 or whatever: Rank pocket pairs AA down to 22 and throw in AK and AQ somewhere in between. There you have it, guaranteed millions.

fairness
11-17-2004, 01:58 AM
its more like a step by step guide to becoming a fish than a real book on poker. thank you helmuth.

stinkypete
11-17-2004, 02:25 AM
it was the first poker book i read (yeah, i haven't been playing very long...)

the scary thing is, it probably made me a better player.

thats not to say i wasnt still terrible after reading it though.

ed8383
11-17-2004, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
its more like a step by step guide to becoming a fish than a real book on poker. thank you helmuth.

[/ QUOTE ]
How can it be a book on becoming a fish when he tells people to play tight-aggressive? being a fish by definition is the opposite.

TheJackal
11-17-2004, 03:11 AM
It's not a bad book and his player types and NLHE as well as his RAZZ and Omaha PL are pretty good for the novice player. His limit HE I agree is a joke, playing 77-AA, AQ, AK and re-raising with these hands isn't the smartest strategy. His tournament advice is pretty solid though.

SCfuji
11-17-2004, 03:28 AM
i use mine for fuel in the fireplace. got to give him credit for finding a way to make more money, though.

SCfuji
11-17-2004, 03:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
77-AA, AQ, AK and re-raising

[/ QUOTE ]

i will most definitely reraise 1010+, AK. AQ and <99 will depend on the field.

knucklehead
11-17-2004, 10:27 AM
This book is good for beginners. It's the first book I read and it allowed me to not fear betting. The big thing I got out of it was to protect my cards with my chips!

Phil's book is an easy read. 2+2 books are not straight forward reads, especially for newbies. I use 2+2 books as reference material, reading again and again!!! I went back and reread PH's book and thought, ho hum for a second read, but realized it was a great read when I had no poker knowledge at all.

knifeandfork
11-17-2004, 12:18 PM
first book i ever read and it helped a bunch as i had never anteed or posted a blind, but that doesnt make it a good book. but i do like the hand rankings and basic advice on some of the games other than holdem.
jason

slickpoppa
11-17-2004, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but i do like the hand rankings

[/ QUOTE ]

Those hand rankings are complete trash.

feelixthegreek
11-17-2004, 01:50 PM
I like the pictures of the animals sitting around the table.

His was the first book I read, and I'd be lying if I said it didn't help me in the immediate short term. But woe to anyone whose study stopped with his book. I'm never disappointed when someone at my table talks books and this is the one they mention.

betgo
11-17-2004, 02:19 PM
It's a beginners book. It has some good material. I like the discussion of players as animals. The no limit tournament section has good information on styles of play and types of hands to play. The analysis of hands and flops is excellent.

The advice on how to play limit holdem is silly and has given this book a bad name. I am suspicious of advice in poker books. This one and Cloutier's books have some of the worst.

Walter Pullis
11-17-2004, 03:32 PM
After all the negativity of this thread, I frankly think that the NLHE advice was pretty good. At the very least, it will keep the novice out of "trouble".

Prevaricator
11-17-2004, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i will most definitely reraise 1010+, AK. AQ and <99 will depend on the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you afraid of with AK?

jwvdcw
11-17-2004, 05:53 PM
wrong forum

kuro
11-17-2004, 11:11 PM
If you're looking for an introductory book on poker, I think that Phil Gordon's The real deal is about the best out there. It explains simple topics fairly well and it is very good about pointing you towards other books that cover the topic in more detail. So I think it's a good starting place.

I really didn't like Phil Hellmuth's book. His book is aimed at the lowest level of poker player and pretty much just says play these 10 or 15 starting hands and you'll do better. There are too many anecdotes about his poker playing days and not enough basic theory in this book.

swede123
11-18-2004, 06:01 PM
I agree with Kuro. Too many stories, particularly stories about "THE GREAT PHIL HELMUTH!" I can only imagine what the early draft of the book looked like, before the editors weeded down the "I'm awesome!" stuff some.

Like an earlier poster mentioned, it's an OK starting point but if you are serious about poker you better continue your learning past Helmuth's book.

Cheers,

Swede

binions
11-19-2004, 12:11 AM
The best thing about the book is the animal characters to describe playing types, and how your strategy changes with each animal type.

Of course, these animal types seem to be lifted verbatim from Ken Buntjer's book on Limit Tournaments.

htc1278
11-23-2004, 09:13 PM
This book is incredibly useful. It helps me gauge where I'm at as a player. Each time I read it I realize just a little more how bad his advice is.

A_C_Slater
11-23-2004, 10:04 PM
I wonder if Phil considers himself to be an Eagle? Or does he give himself an even more grandiose classifaction like The Vulture. Picking at the carcass of his opponents after he breaks them.

Oh yea, I'm a Godzilla. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

omahaChamp
11-24-2004, 12:33 AM
Not so easy when you reach omaha & Stud /images/graemlins/club.gif

jayheaps
11-24-2004, 02:33 AM
didnt like the holdem part. i think the advaned strategy require too much experience for a begginer to use. However, i thought the PLO and razz chapters were quite good for someone who has never played those games

big show
11-24-2004, 06:25 AM
Recommends ramming and jamming all the time. Pair of 8's or bigger, ram and jam. Loves to tell how he busted up his college game back in the day.
Very dissapointed in the book.

jakethebake
11-24-2004, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Was wondering if anyone read this book and what they thought of it. A friend of mine told me it was pretty good, but I want some other opinions. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]