PDA

View Full Version : folding jacks preflop

09-09-2001, 02:19 PM
I was playing in a low limit tourney(actually its a free entry (500 in chips) w/ $10 rebuys (1000) and one rebuy at the break for $10 (1500)). Its limit holdem starting at 50-100 betting and the limits double every 20 mins. So anyway I was in the small blind with only one early limper when i pick up jacks. I call even though I thought about raising but i figured that there was a good chance that the flop would have an over card. Well after I call the big blind, who had been playing tight passive, raises. I thought about folding after the early pos. player called, but i called along with her. Was this the correct play? By the way the flop came A,K,T rainbowed and I check folded, she showed kings. Thank you for any input at all.

09-09-2001, 08:09 PM
Yes it was the right play...

You are getting 5/1 for your money.. there is a chance she has AK and the implied odds if you hit a set if she has got an overpair make this a compulsory call.

Keith

09-09-2001, 11:51 PM
Well, I disagree with the play of this hand. In a limit tournament, unless you really, really know that this early position player likes to limp and then re-raise a bunch I would suggest the following: You raise and the bb drops (most likely outcome) and then most bets on flop win the pot. You raise and bb/limper calls, you then do not bet into 2 overcards out of position and move on to next hand. You raise and bb re-raises and play the hand out as you indicated with overcards, call down hand if baby cards are all that show up.

I think that in re-buy tournaments to not take a chance on making some $ with a very good starting hand, in a short-handed pot, is not correct strategy, even if the bb had KK here.

Best,Gary

09-10-2001, 12:16 PM
With only 1 limper in the hand I might raise with JJ from the SB to try to make things headsup. If the limper is a player that only limps with big hands then a call is more correct.

Once the BB raises you need to call. You have the 4th best pair. You are getting 5:1. See the flop.

Ken Poklitar