PDA

View Full Version : UTG - semi bluffs pot limit v no limit

09-09-2001, 05:54 AM
I have been playing the same weekly pot limit HE tournament this year and most of the regular players probably have me down as tight player. One of the ploys I have found profitable is semi bluffing UTG and UTG+1 i.e putting in a pot sized raise in with low to middle pairs or middle to low connectors. I tend to do it when I am getting short stacked but still with enough chips to be able to throw the hand away or when I am one of the bigger stacks on the table. It is an occasional play and I do not to run it against very Aggressive players.

If called I have a fairly good read on my opponent, if raised I throw my hand away (enhancing my tight image and encouraging future raises when I am raising with AA.)If called and I flop a hand trips or a straight my opponent(s)almost certainly will not put me on the hand thus I am more likely to get paid off.

Should I try to run this type of play in a No Limit game ? I am less inclined because in my limited experience of NL pre flop play tends to be more aggressive and therefore I need to make a larger than Pot sized bet to have the same impact and I am more likely to get raised back.

Any thoughts ?

09-10-2001, 07:09 AM
Ross,

I think your read of the players is more important than the structure of the game, ie if the situation is right you can make the play in either pot-limit or no-limit. If you are too likely to be re-raised then you wouldn't make the play very often.

If however you are less likely to be re-raised then you could make a case for running the play more in NL because you have a better chance to win someone's whole stack if you catch the right flop.

Andy.