PDA

View Full Version : 88 against tag

Danenania
11-16-2004, 06:37 PM
CO here is loose preflop and somewhat aggressive postflop, likes to bluff. Button is too tight preflop (14/11) and highly aggressive postflop. Comments on all streets and turn c/r appreciated.

Party 5/10 6-max, 5 handed.

Hero is SB with 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

UTG folds, CO limps, Button raises, Hero calls, BB calls, CO calls.

Flop (8 sb): 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero checks planning to c/r, BB checks, CO bets, Button raises, Hero coldcalls, BB folds, CO folds.

Turn (6.5 bb): 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero checks, Button bets, Hero raises...

Nate tha' Great
11-16-2004, 06:46 PM
Calling two cold on the flop and investing two more bets on a turn check-raise is much, much too expensive. You have to hope both that nobody has a king, and that nobody calls down with a higher pocket pair or outdraws you. BTW, Button sounds like the sort of player who is capable of playing trips fast.

imported_stealthcow
11-16-2004, 06:53 PM
if he's too tight preflop i'd guess his hands to be around

AK - AJ AKs - ATs KQs KJs KQo along with AA - 99. the fact that he also raises the original raise on the flop makes me think he has QQ or JJ. AA is possible, but i dont think he has it, you said he's quite aggressive but i also feel like he has sufficient action to wait on the turn to put a raise in with a made hand like AK AA or KQ.

btw, i dont relaly like the cold call on the flop. i'm new to 5/10 sh ( 6500 hands ) but i feel like at that point you have to know if you're ahead or behind. throw in an extra bet if you think you're ahead bet and give a flush draw a harder time. the only hands i you have beat are flush draws AQ, AJ and AT

but maybe i can learn a thing or two from this hand /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Danenania
11-16-2004, 06:56 PM
That's what I thought after I did it. Though it was a tempting situation, I guess it wasn't quite good enough and I let FPS got the better of me. I think a problem of mine is occasionally trying too hard to make use of a read when the situation doesn't really warrant it.

Is this play much better if I'm sure the Button is tight enough to throw away any overpair on the turn?

JrJordan
11-16-2004, 06:56 PM
I was thinking a little bit at first about possibly folding this PF. You're out of position with a tightie who raises to you. He most likely has good overs or an overpair. However, I think only having to call 1.5 SB and assuming the limper and BB come along, the cold call is probably good here.

Flop: I probably bet out here and see what kind of reaction I get. A raise and reraise from the limper and button gets me out of the pot in a hurry. If they call, I bet out again on the turn if a non-scare card. If the limper calls and button raises, I probably throw in a 3bet to see if I can get the limper out. A cap from the button here then its a judgement call for you to call it down, but I'd most likely check/fold the turn unimproved.

Danenania
11-16-2004, 07:03 PM
The problem I have with betting out is that it doesn't help protect the pot at all and the Button is likely to raise with pretty much anything. I think this hand would have played pretty easily if the CO hadn't bet in the first place and allowed me to proceed with my flop c/r. After being faced with two cold, things started to go haywire.

Danenania
11-16-2004, 07:04 PM
Also: would check/3-betting the flop have been a better option? Still too expensive?

Nate tha' Great
11-16-2004, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's what I thought after I did it. Though it was a tempting situation, I guess it wasn't quite good enough and I let FPS got the better of me. I think a problem of mine is occasionally trying too hard to make use of a read when the situation doesn't really warrant it.

Is this play much better if I'm sure the Button is tight enough to throw away any overpair on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

The play would pretty clearly be +EV if the Button were capable of throwing away any hand that didn't contain a King. I don't think you'll encounter too many players like that.

BTW, if I had like JJ, and I saw you make that cold call against me, I would check behind on the turn almost 100% of the time and call your bet on the river.