PDA

View Full Version : Feeling on tilt, am I getting back to normal??

twankerr
11-16-2004, 05:43 PM
After a major upswing (about 200BB in a month), I've hit a small hiccup and now I'm doubting wether I'm playing correctly. 2/4 hands, both hands were at a semi-loose passive preflop, looooosey gooooosey passive postflop.

First hand: 8-handed
Hero is UTG with 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (yipee!)
Hero raises, one cold caller and it is re-raised by MP player. The SB cold calls, I call and the first cold caller calls. Read: the re-raiser had re-raised 77 before so I put him on any pocket pair higher than 55 or two broadyway suited cards.

4 to the flop. A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I'm thinking GREAT! stupid over card hits, but then again he could easily have an underpair to the 8s and he could have something like K10soooted. I bet out and coldcaller calls, then it is raised by MP player. SB folds. I call of course and so does cold caller.

With the turn coming, I'm thinking check-fold all the way. Turn hits K /images/graemlins/club.gif. EWWWW, bad card for me. I check, coldcaller checks and MP Player CHECKS? wha! Now there are three hands I can put him on, AK, QQ/JJ, or two sooted broadway cards in spades.

The river was a 10 and of course it went bet-call. I feel like I played it horribly, but then again, maybe he just played it worse.

--

Second hand, I'm in the BB with K /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Three players open-limp, SB folds I check. No reads here, standard passive table, I figure at least one ace high and my hand is probably 2nd or 3rd best.

Flop comes K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I bet out, and get raised almost auto-raised by the first player to my left. Other two call, I call. Turn comes another 3. I think I have the best hand at this point, yet I check and it gets checked around. River hits a second K I bet and the raiser folds.

After both hands, it looks like they were both raising flush draws, but how strong can I make this read during play?

I would love some comments because I won both these hands, but I feel like if I weren't running bad, I would've played them differently (not sure how, just differently). I felt a little too passive.

jayrutz2
11-16-2004, 06:03 PM
first I cap pre-flop, other than that looks fine

Second hand: I would 3 bet his post flop raise and then lead out on turn. If capped on flop I'd call and then check call turn) It is hard to play a weak kicker so strongly, but odds are you are ahead before the turn, and I would take the chance, because it is hard to put any off the limpers anything that beats you besided random 2pr, for which you have hidden outs. I don't see trips here..

lu_hawk
11-16-2004, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
first I cap pre-flop, other than that looks fine

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you cap TT in a 4 way pot? I wouldn't do it in a headsup pot unless the 3-bettor was super lag and probably not even then.

twankerr
11-16-2004, 06:22 PM
Yah, would you care to explain why you would cap preflop, considering you are going to act first postflop and there have been very few raises? I'd say there is a 10% chance I'm against a lower PP, a 60% chance I'm against suited overcards, and the rest of the time JJ/QQ/KK/AA with a small chance of a random junk hand.

What would you have done if he had bet the turn?

The more I look at the second hand, the worse I feel about it. That passiveness cost me at least 3 bets.

MoreWineII
11-16-2004, 06:26 PM
I really don't think going nuts on that flop is hand 2 is all that great. You've got TPWeakK and a bunch of non-folders. Leading the turn wouldn't have been a terrible idea though, that 3 almost certainly helped you.

In hand 1, this comment has me curious:

[ QUOTE ]
Now there are three hands I can put him on, AK...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't he have bet the turn when he made top two?

twankerr
11-16-2004, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't he have bet the turn when he made top two?

[/ QUOTE ]

oops nevermind, I just realized he was closing action. I have no idea why I would put him on that hand, I think I was just yelling in my hand that they always hit two pair /images/graemlins/mad.gif (once again tilt)

MoreWineII
11-16-2004, 06:53 PM
FWIW, I think you played both just dandy. Maybe lead the turn in hand 2 and fold to a raise, maybe not.

wheeler
11-16-2004, 06:58 PM
Hand 2:

With top pair, weak kicker in the blinds in an unraised pot, I usually check the flop, intending to call an EP bet, raise a LP bet, or fold to a raise (since it's a passive table). What do you think of this?

In any case, you have to lead the turn. If you're going to call a bet, you may as well put it in yourself, and you have an easy fold to a raise (again since your opponents are passive).

twankerr
11-16-2004, 08:26 PM
I think the biggest leak in my "tilted" game has been that I call down when I should be initiating action. Thanks all.

Does anyone change their play in Hand 2 based on the fact that the raise came ALMOST immediately, like the "raise-any" button had been checked?