PDA

View Full Version : newbie question at final table

09-06-2001, 12:43 PM
I played HP limit HE tourney and have a question on a hand. Final table, 6 players left. Payouts about: $1100, 640, 350, 200, 160, 140.... stacks - seat 1-8000, 2 - 10000, 3-20000, 4-12000, 5-15000 6-(me)-15000 blinds 2500-5000, betting 5000-10000.

utg raises to 10000 next folds, I hold 99. Do I call, raise or fold?

Thanks for your advise.

09-06-2001, 01:25 PM
well, we don't know anything about how they have been playing, but will try to answer

if you were last to act, then you Might call, but with so many players behind you--FOLD

09-06-2001, 01:53 PM
So if I understand, UTG has 12000.

To me there are 2 distinct strategies here. With the stack sizes listed compared to the blinds, you can fold/fold/fold and hope to move up the money list. This seems likely since no one has any chips. The problem here is the money does not change much until 3rd place.

But if you want to win, I would raise all-in. UTG does not necessarily need any great hand since he is about to hit the blinds.

So raise!

Ken Poklitar

09-06-2001, 03:14 PM
I would reraise all-in here. Your stack is very short wrt the blinds. You need to move up to 3rd to make an appreciable improvement in the payout, and you will often have your opponent dominated.

Just My Opinions,

Derrick

09-06-2001, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the views. It seems that there is no clear cut answer here. I just called, as did the SB. Flop came K74 rainbow. SB bet, UTG raised and I folded. SB called all in and showed KTs. UTG showed AA and won the pot. I wound up taking 5th when, holding A8s, I did not have enough chips to raise out the blinds 2 hands later. The SB, holding Q7 offsuit called and got a Q on the river to beat my all in bet.

09-07-2001, 04:16 AM
You may be correct that it is close between folding and raising. However, calling is definitely the worst option. If you're going to play, then raise to make sure no-one else comes in behind you (of course someone might find a big hand, but them's the breaks). You're going to be committed to the hand anyway.

Andy.

09-07-2001, 09:06 AM
Think of it this way.

You made the money. The difference between 6th and 4th is very small. The blinds are HUGE compared to each stack (it's a real crapshoot). You will have to put your whole stack in the blinds when you hit them. Well that's not true, it would be better to either raise when UTG and follow through or put your remaining $ when you are in the BB. Staying till the SB is not an option, IMO.

So, considering all the options, I believe you have to go with your 99 here. It's about the best hand you'll find and the UTG raiser is more likely to have over cards than an overpair making you a 11:10 favorite. And you sure can't call here, your should reraise.

Nicolas Fradet (ThePrince)

09-13-2001, 04:01 PM
I got knocked out last week in a similar situation...but it was a bit more of a bad beat..

I had pocket 8's against guys who I know are loose - it's the last two tables, and I have to make a decision.

I go all in...so do they..one has A-J...the other has A-6 -

And they flop an Ace...given the same odds...I'd do it again. If there's an ace or two out there already...they've got the same odds I do of hitting their cards... (two aces vs. my two eights) - of course, the J was a problem...but not the 6.

Remember, even a pair of 2's is a better hand then AK. It may not hold up long term, but it's worth remembering esp. when playing players who don't know how to play tournaments...in a tournament, I'll play fewer drawing hands and live longer. Most guys won't...they'll go all on hoping for a straight when they could wait for a hand that won't break them.

It's really up to the table you play...some guys I wouldn't call against...seems like they're always at the final table. Not the chumps I played the other night.