PDA

View Full Version : way too passive?

09-05-2001, 02:35 PM
mid level in a limit tournament. four tables left with two tables payed (although 18-10 get a net $5). early mid position player open raises. Folded around to me in the small blind. I wake up with red AA. I was about to three bet, but I smooth called. Big blind was pretty low on chips, and I figured that he would either call or not. my three betting wouldn't have made a difference in his decision.

Anyway, I had pulled a move on the raiser a few hands ago, so I figured that a check-raise on the flop or turn would look like a move, and he'd call me down with little if I played this way here. My plan went down the drain (in a good way) when the flop came: A-rag-rag rainbow.

I check called the flop, and check called the turn when another rag turned (although it put a second club on board to match the A clubs on the flop).

Here's my thinking. The raiser was in early position, so what would he have raised with pre-flop that he could call with if I raised here? I figured AK (4) -AQ(4) plus pocket pairs KK-TT (24) If I raised, I'd get called (turn and river) one time in 4, but, if I called, he'd bet into me 4 times in 4. If I raised, I'd get 1/2 more bets each time, but if I called, I'd get 1.25 bets (call on the river with an ace and discounting the chance that he makes a set on the river) each time. Call it is.

river is a ten of clubs. I checked, he bet, and I called and took it down.

My read was off. he had raised with A-10 off and made top two on the river. had I raised, I could have made another bet. So now, I have to re figure my numbers to include A-10 as a possible raising hand. my head hurts too much to do that now, so I'll just ask:

I know that my read was off, but was my thinking process correct? My read was based on limited prior play, so I'm not too worried about that. However, I am concerned about whether I should have raised somewhere given what I assumed.

As a side benefit, not to be discounted as a factor, my calls were given more respect until the table broke and I was able to make a move or two in the subsequent hands.

09-06-2001, 01:30 PM
I usually would 3-bet preflop. With only the raiser in the hand at this point your 3-bet from SB does not scream KK or AA.

I don't mind your check-call on the flop. Betting out and hoping to get raised may also work. Headsup, your opponent would rarely fold KK ( or other lower pairs) unless he has you pegged as only betting out with an Ace. The problem with doing this is if he does raise, he may check the turn which would cost you money. So I guess I do like the check-call.

On the turn if you feel he is still going to bet then I check-raise. I think there are other hands that he will call you with on the turn check-raise. He could have 2 clubs. He could have some type of straight draw although it sounds like a bunch of low cards are out there.

I just can't imagine not raising at some point in a hand with AA when I flopping a set on a rainbow flop.

Ken Poklitar