PDA

View Full Version : 22 in the BB - am I an idiot

wahooriver
11-16-2004, 01:35 PM
2/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

In the BB, playing Empire 1/2, 5 handed, fold, fold, button raises, SB folds. I call.

Flop: A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet, button raises, I call.

Turn: 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check, he bets, I call.

River: 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check, he bets, I call.

===========================

I know why I called his bets, and will be glad to discuss that, but am interested in how others "read" this situation. I am a devotee of Daniel Negreanu - and especially enjoy his verbalization of his thought process about what his opponents might have.

So how would you verbalize his likely hands? And was I an idiot to see the bets?

Apocalypse
11-16-2004, 01:58 PM
if you gonna check-call the river anyways, just bet it out. If he raises you know he had an ace, and it costs you the same, and if he folds you know he didn't have one (or a king or queen) but take the pot down. Your not even close of getting the odds for this minority of times, but like i said: since you were gonna check-call this river anyways.....bet it

J.R.
11-16-2004, 02:01 PM
I'd be inclined to not call that river bet. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I prefer check-raising the flop or turn rather than leading into what will often be an auto raise on any flop, as you don't get any information for the cost of 2 small bets. I think check-raising the flop or turn is more consistent with how an A would play this flop, and the times you are best your hand is vulnerable so you don't mind your opponent folding 2 overcards.

Huskiez
11-16-2004, 02:01 PM
Er, keep in mind that you're playing the board on the river.

sfwusc
11-16-2004, 02:02 PM
Well, I havent been playing short handed to long, but here goes.

I would guess the button has overcards or a larger pocket pair. I dont know if you were beat after the flop or turn, but the river put you behind.

If you would have check raise the flop then you would know if you were beat. If he didnt have the ace, then most players would have folded or gone into call down mode.

Play it aggressive 90+% of the time. I then bet the turn as well.

It could be playing a lot of different hands from the button. You will lose to a pocket pair, an ace, or an 8. That is 5 cards+PPs. Figure that in and the possible fold by the button===i play this aggressively.

Rounder041
11-16-2004, 02:05 PM
You're PP just became exempt with the river being another 8, you are playing the board, you think he is betting that river with less than a 7? You're only shot is to chop the pot here. If you do make a play at it, make it sooner.

joker122
11-16-2004, 02:10 PM
nevermind

wahooriver
11-16-2004, 02:21 PM
I am an idiot - I thought I had transcribed the hand properly - but for some reason the river 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif came out 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

So - the board looked :

AA875 and no possible flush.

DrSavage
11-16-2004, 02:23 PM
That's horrible. The call on the river is beyond bad, even though it's possible that you'll get away with it every now and then. More often you'll be beaten by hands that are better than 7 high. You invest 1 bet to win 3 bets. Do you really think your opponent cannot beat 7 high 1 time in four ?
Don't try to apply the methods used by Daniel in 1/2 game. Also Daniel wouldn't play a hand like this even if he was on crack.

Well, if the board didn't pair it's obviously much better than before. I still dislike it and i would not bet that flop first of all.

Huskiez
11-16-2004, 02:28 PM
I like J.R.'s analysis. I think any preflop raiser will auto raise your bet on the flop. I think check raising the flop or turn would allow you to get out if you're behind without having to pay off every street.

MAxx
11-16-2004, 02:29 PM
playing 22 is tricky, did you committ to showdown before the flop?

i'm not liking the river call. i don't really care to see what guy has here, enough to pay a BB for a totally counterfeited hand... if you were super lucky, his got counterfieted as well... but i would think that would be so rare that calling would be -EV fo sho. I would checkfold, but leading out here and folding to a raise is so much better than checkcalling.

MAxx
11-16-2004, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am an idiot - I thought I had transcribed the hand properly - but for some reason the river 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif came out 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

So - the board looked :

AA875 and no possible flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

That does change things a bit. I think if you got this far, the 5 doesn't change things much. If you were calling before, that 5 should not make you fold. You should call the river bet and and hope he has a busted flush draw or unimproved no paired hand.