PDA

View Full Version : LH -- Critique (kind of long)

09-03-2001, 11:48 AM
I'd like to get your comments about a tournament hand I recently played. It's late in a NL tournament, the blinds are 200 & 400. I'm in medium position with A9 Suited -- 2775 in chips. A player in early position raises, next player folds. The early position raiser tells a tournament regular and the player next me that he should help him out and fold. I call "time" as it's my play. I like my Ace, I'm not thrilled about the kicker, but I like the Nut flush possibility. There's been a lot of bluffing going on lately and I've been picking it up pretty well. Something in the raiser's tone and this comment tells me he doesn't have a pat hand. I call. The player to my left and tournament regular folds, and the player next to him raises it, making it 1200. The blinds fold to the initial raiser, he calls, I call. The flop comes:

A 10 5 rainbow.

The initial raiser bets 400, I call, LP (Late position) calls.

At this point, this is how I see it. The late position player likes to bluff. I've played against him before and he likes to make large bets when has garabe to try and steal a hand. He's basically admitted this in table talk to other players. He tried it four times against me half an hour earlier when I sat at a different table on his immediate left and I beat him 3 of 4 hands. In fact, a large part of my chip stack is from him. But I figure he may have something, but probably a low pair, 8's or 7's. The player in early position is a little different. He likes to bluff as well. But he might have an ace, but not a good kicker -- is it better than mine is the question? He bets 800 into me, I call, late position player calls.

An A comes on the river for A 10 5 A.

This is where it gets tricky. I'm feeling insecure about my kicker at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I've got the early position player beat. I have 6 outs (10's & 5's) to chop the pot with him if he has the Ace. 3 more outs for my nine to make a Full house. Don't ask me why, but I know he doesn't have pocket 10's. If he has a high pair (K's or Q's), then I already have him beat. He bets 800, I call, LP calls. The river comes for a 3.

The board now looks like A 10 5 A 3 rainbow with no flush possibility. First player bets, I go all in for 775, and LP mucks.

I guess I should tell you that I lost this hand and left the tournament in 16th place. I do like the way I played it, and it took me a day to figure something out which I will use for later on. Here's the scoop: The early position player had A3 off-suit and paired his kicker for the full-house on the river. I never did see what the LP player had, but I figured him for a garbage hand anyway. I'm thinking that I should have raised on the river when the other A came. This would let the early position player know that I had an Ace (I'd been playing pretty tight and had respect from the table) and then maybe he would have worried about his kicker and folded. But then I would have been all-in, so maybe he would have called anyway. I consider this to just be a tough loss. I'm glad I read my opponents and basically hit it dead on as to what they had, I'm just bummed I lost it on the river. These things happen. When I got up to leave, one of the chip leaders at the table said to me, "A9 loses to A3 -- ow, that hurts" which made me feel good. I realize that A9 is not a great playing hand, but I called my opponents well. Or am I just flattering myself? What do you think?

09-03-2001, 11:50 AM
Oops, for clarification this is a Limit Hold 'Em game! I said NL in the post, but you can tell from the mention of the blinds what was going on.

09-04-2001, 11:23 AM
You started this hand with 7 small bets. Somebody raised, and you have A9. I would fold this hand almost every time. However, you said you have a read on the raiser, and are pretty sure you've got him beat. OK, so now maybe you can play the hand, but to do so you MUST reraise. Calling should never be an option here. Doing so allows the big blind to come in with anything, and now what do you do when you miss the flop and have no pair no draw (which is what will happen the majority of the time)? You need to reraise, and get it heads-up with the raiser. Then, when the flop comes, hopefully he misses, checks, and folds to your bet.

Calling was the big mistake here. After that, eh, you still should've probably raised on the flop, but just calling isn't that wrong, and might be right depending upon the opponents.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

09-04-2001, 11:38 AM
Greg,

Thanks for the response. That's the conclusion I came to as well. I had the read right-on, but I just mis-bet.

Thanks for the response.

09-04-2001, 06:05 PM
No matter how you played the hand you were destined to lose in limit holdem. The initial raiser is not going to fold when he flops top pair when he raises initially with A3. Still you should have reraised preflop if you were going to play the hand. Folding preflop is your best option.

Bruce

09-06-2001, 09:05 AM
nt