PDA

View Full Version : Fold the turn?

Scotch78
11-16-2004, 10:47 AM
No reads, villain just sat down. I'm unsure about the flop, and think I should've folded the turn. Comments?

Empire Poker $1/$2 Hold'em (6 max)
Hero is BB with Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif
UTG raises
MP folds
CO folds
BTN folds
SB folds
Hero raises
UTG caps
Hero calls
** Dealing Flop ** [ 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif ]
Hero checks
UTG bets
Hero calls
** Dealing Turn ** [ K /images/graemlins/heart.gif ]
Hero checks
UTG bets
Hero calls
** Dealing River ** [ 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif ]
Hero checks
UTG bets
Hero calls

Scott

Guido
11-16-2004, 11:24 AM
I would have lost a lot more. I would bet the flop and 3-bet. When he caps I bet the turn again. In this case the turn was a K when he would raise me again I can lay it down against some opponents.

Guido

runa
11-16-2004, 02:49 PM
The flop should be where you get all your bets in. I would've guessed you'd be ahead so this is easily a value bet 3-bet. The turn gets tricky, but I wouldn't consider folding. Mid-PP will still bet into you here but you might be behind overs. Depending on your flop action I'd either bet the turn (lots of action on the flop) or check/call down (little/no action on flop) since overs wouldn't play back as much before the K hit. The river doesn't change much so if you bet and were called on the turn, bet the river again.

Benjamin
11-16-2004, 04:15 PM
I'd jam the flop 'til one of us capped it. I'd bet the turn, and I'd think about folding to a raise if it came ... which would probably be correct at 1/2, but I might call down if I was feeling suspicious, especially at the higher limits.

B.

Scotch78
11-17-2004, 01:28 AM
LAGgy play is not that common in the 1/2, so when an unknown caps pre-flop I put him on a fairly strong hand, let's say JJ+ or AK. AK and JJ will probably keep firing if I keep checking, but might not play along if I start a war. AA and KK will eat me alive though. For that reason I decided to check-call. When the turn hits, I'm getting 7-2 on the chance that he has JJ. I don't like that proposition and that's why I think a turn fold would've been best.

Scott

runa
11-17-2004, 06:38 PM
I would have to disagree. JJ would easily go to war on a flop like that. He has no reason to believe that you have specifically AA-QQ. Even if you assume his PF raise standards are fairly high, which seems surprising since there are a decent amount of LAGs at 1-2 and even loose passives raise/cap light (KQ, AQ, TT), its still more likely that he has AK (16 ways) instead of AA or KK (12 total). You are also out of position, so you can't assume that he will bluff if you check this flop. Also, if he checks behind with something like xx /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Kx, or Ax you're letting him see the turn for free with alot of outs to beat you.