PDA

View Full Version : Do I muck AJ?

09-01-2001, 02:29 AM
I played my first tournament ever the other day at The Orleans, and managed to place in the money. I had a bit of a delimna on my final hand, and I would like to know what others may think.

I was UTG with $1300. The blinds were 400/800, so if the blinds went by me I would remain with $100. One player sitting across the table had $400.

I had AJo. My first impulse was to raise all-in. But I realized that if I folded, and let the blinds pass me then there would be a good chance the the player with $400 would bust out before I saw the blinds again. Then I would move from 7th to 6th place. I was seriously out chipped by everyone else at the table, and I figured that I would have to get very lucky to place higher than 6th even if I did play the hand and win a small pot.

But, poker is not meant to be a passive game, I thought, so I raised all-in, and had one caller. I did not improve, and lost to the lady with 88.

Opinions?

09-01-2001, 05:18 AM
If you pass the blinds you are essentially giving up on any chance of finishing higher than 6th. And don't forget, the other short stack can easily win his all-in hand too.

I think you are underestimating your chances of doing well from here. We've all seen people win tournaments from positions like this. If you make the raise, get heads up and win you will be up to 1300+1300+400+800 = 3800. This gives you time to wait for a good hand/situation and if you double up again it's game on.

I would probably have made a move before now (unless I/you have just lost a large pot) but in this spot I can't get the chips in quick enough.

Andy.

09-01-2001, 11:53 AM
I do not have the numbers, but my guess is that the difference between 6th and 7th really is not much

as Andy said, you MAY be able to move to 7th, but chances end there if you do not play this hand...so without a doubt you should play it

09-02-2001, 02:16 AM
Johann,

Shove em in

Mike

09-06-2001, 02:17 PM
Not a chance in hell I'll sit back and hope for 6th. I Raise!