PDA

View Full Version : USA Legality question from a Brit

craiga_uk
11-16-2004, 07:46 AM
Hey guys,

Not sure where to post this, so I'll put it here.

I am after purchasing some poker chips from pokerchipmart.com (assuming that no-one tells me they are rubbish), but they don't ship to the UK.

My plan was to send them to a couple i know, who live in Phoenix, Arizona and have them surface mail the chips over to me.

I'm a bit worried about asking them though, as I have no clue as to the legality of owning/shipping poker chips. My web searching has shown different laws on 'home gambling' for different states, and not being a US citizen makes it tricky for me to understand these - legally and geographically.

So, in a nutshell, is this going to be a problem/issue for them or for me?

Thanks

Craig

jasonHoldEm
11-16-2004, 08:27 AM
You won't have any problems (except for expensive shipping costs). If you check in home poker forum they'll be able to give you good tips on where to find chips, you might even be able to go with a different distributor to get shiping direct to the UK.

J

RJT
11-16-2004, 08:25 PM
Yes, poker chips in themselves are not illegal to own. In fact although it is illegal to run home games, in my state (Ohio), it isn't illegal to play in one. That is to say just the guy running the show is performing an illegal activity. I might be not exactly right on the law, but am pretty sure. As you relally didn't ask that it doesn't matter. But again, and you will get more responses to confirm this, you are fine. I am not an attorney.

Leo99
11-16-2004, 11:15 PM
Are you asking if it's legal for you to own them? Or for the couple in AZ to have possession of them and ship them to you? I thought UK was much more liberal in gambling laws than the States? Us Americans can own chips. They sell them everywhere here especially now with the poker boom. They sell them at my local $1 store where everything costs a dollar. I'm assuming that if we can own them and you can own them, it's legal to ship them across the big pond. IANAL

mojorisin24
11-17-2004, 01:43 AM
Yeah, poker chips are no problem in the U.S. But I have to say, you should just go to a U.K. website and order them direct from there. You'll save a tremendous amount of money on the shipping that way, money you can put towards buying a better chip. Try out a British site like this: http://www.poker-chips.net/ /images/graemlins/cool.gif

ricochet420
11-17-2004, 05:15 AM
You will definately be better off finding a site in uk.