PDA

View Full Version : Do I want a caller with an OESD?

Demana
11-16-2004, 07:01 AM
6 handed NL ring game

Stacks:
SB ($120) - Me
BB ($200) - Fairly TAG
UTG ($19) - On Tilt

Blinds are $.50/1

Hero is SB with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG open raises to $3, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls

<font color="green">Normally, I would have folded this preflop, but UTG was on tilt, I was looking to break him, and I knew I could let the hand go if I didn't hit the flop.</font>

Flop 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif7/images/graemlins/heart.gif5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="brown">Pot: $12</font>

Hero <font color="red">bets</font> $3, BB calls, UTG <font color="red">raises</font> all in ($16), Button folds, Hero <font color="red">raises</font> to $26, BB folds.

<font color="blue">The read on UTG was that he had an over pair.
I put BB on a draw.</font>

<font color="green">I led to build the pot and reraised the all in because although I had an open ended straight draw, I was worried about BB drawing to a flush or better straight. BB told me that I played it incorrectly and that I wanted as many callers as possible?</font>

BobboFitos
11-16-2004, 07:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
BB told me that I played it incorrectly and that I wanted as many callers as possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he's wrong. You played it incorrectly many ways, not just raising UTG's all in.

Firstoff... the tilting player has 19$, and he bets 3 of it preflop. You're not getting implied odds with 62 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif even if he says "I'm going to go all in for 16 more blind, so if you outflop me you're going to win my money every single time." So horrible PF call. Even 6-handed.

Hmm:

[ QUOTE ]
Flop 875 (4 players)
Pot: $12

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a 1-card straight and backdoor flush. That's not exactly hitting the flop hard, and yet you lead out and bet.

And then...

[ QUOTE ]
I led to build the pot and reraised the all in because although I had an open ended straight draw, I was worried about BB drawing to a flush or better straight. BB told me that I played it incorrectly and that I wanted as many callers as possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he was drawing to a better straight he would have to have T9 specifically, unless he flopped it. With T9 you didn't really raise enough to push him out if he infact believed his overcard outs were live.

Anyways, I was going to break down a few more aspects of this hand, but it was just played horribly. Sorry buddy.

1. Unless you have many many many more BBs, (and in this case the pertinent figure is 19, as that is the tilting player's stack before BB's preflop call) 62s is not playable. I wouldn't even complete the small blind with it. But to each his own.

2. On the flop the small bet is ok IF THESE TWO THINGS HAPPEN:
a. BB calls.
b. UTG doesn't reraise.

What ended up happening is you isolated UTG with near even-money as a 2:1 dog (or perhaps worse if he had hearts, or even something like 86, he was tilting...) And that is never positive expectation.

If you insisted on calling PF, I'd check the flop and call a bet if I was laid the correct price to see the turn; you're not going to get UTG to fold if he in fact has an overpair, and with BB to worry about as well when you lead out, what are you trying to accomplish?

As for wanting more callers, raising in that spot is ok because if you smoothcall BB can repop you and now you either have to pay MORE money to see the turn out of position, and if you just call, you could price BB in to see a turn which could lower your pot equity. (If he has somehting like A7, and UTG has something like KQ, if you get the A7 to fold you can win with pairing up your 6 or 2) So the flop raise wasn't the worst played aspect of this hand.

Demana
11-16-2004, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the breakdown.

schwza
11-16-2004, 05:37 PM
hey... really bad call pre-flop. if you had position and the stacks were 10x deeper, you could think about it.

i don't think your flop play was horrible. you're happy enough to play a heads up pot with utg with the dead money in there, and knocking out the BB might clean up your 2 and 6 outs, and it also means that you will get to see the river.

the benefits aren't that great though, and if BB reraises you'll have to fold. it's risking too much to knock out a guy who's likely gonna fold anyway. and playing it 3-way is not a disaster (although there's no way you're getting paid off if the straight gets there).

Demana
11-16-2004, 08:50 PM
The biggest question I had was about his absolute conviction that I misplayed by pushing him out of the pot. Yes, there are many times that I want other draws in with me, but not when I've got an all-in and there is a flush draw on the board (unless I am drawing to the nut flush...)

btw - When he folded, he said he had a double belly buster.