PDA

View Full Version : Did I wait too long

08-31-2001, 01:49 PM
I elected to fold my hand in the below described situation. As it turned out, I missed my best opportunity to stay in the tournment (essentially blinded out)and of course I am now second guessing myself.

No Limit Holdem Tournment, approximately 45 starters, pays top 5 in a typical schedule. The rebuy period has ended and we are down to 27 players. The blinds are at $50/100 and due to raise to $100/200 within the next few minutes. This particular table is very tough with 7 of the original 9 starters still around. Four of us have stacks under $1000 and the rest have stacks in the $2000-3000 range.

I am in the SB with $800 left after posting my Small Blind. Second to Act (STA) raises to $250. I look down and see 99. He has $700 remaining after his raise. STA is a very tough player. His raise, especially when he is beginning to get short stacked, does not necessarily mean a premium hand. I have seen him come in this situation with medium Aces, KQ, amd smallish pairs. He would also play AA and KK this same way. He might lay down a small pair or a weak Ace to an all in raise. Note: BB was very short stacked ($250)after posting and it wouldn't take much of a hand for him to call with.

What is my play, was folding ok, or should I have raised? Remember I only have one round left to have any real chance of taking down the blinds without a fight.

thanks, Calvin

08-31-2001, 04:43 PM
Given your assessment of the range of holdings STA would play here, as well as your assessment that he might fold some of the hands, I would raise all-in. If you call only, you are playing too much of a guessing game on the flop, since 1 or more overcards will hit so frequently. If you fold, you are passing up a +EV opportunity, which you can't afford to do since you're short-stacked and very far from the money.

I would also raise to try and knock out the BB. Or, if the BB calls, this might increase the chances that STA will fold, as he now has to beat both of you to win the main pot, which is almost half the total chips in action.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)