PDA

View Full Version : Important concept -- How to flop the nuts [low content]

soah
11-16-2004, 05:26 AM
I'll be honest. I'm mostly just posting this to make myself feel good. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I do have a point though. When you have a monster hand, do whatever you can to play a huge pot. If your opponents don't have a decent hand, then you're not going to win a big pot no matter how much you slowplay it. But many times they'll have a piece of the board and will get trapped in the hand if you build up a big pot. So here's my story from tonight.

I'm playing Party 1/2 6-max. This particular table has four LAGs and two rocks. I'm one of the rocks. I've been mixing it up a bit with the LAGs with marginal hands at times, winning some and losing some. I tripled up a while ago with bottom set against top two pair against an overpair. That's the only huge pot I've played. I've only really gotten out of line once, when I open-raised from the button with A4s and spewed chips with no pair. My opponent in that hand called me down with AQ and found a Q on the river. He's the victim of the following hand:

I have $331.33 and my victim has me covered by a lot.

I raise from UTG to $7 with A /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif and victim calls. Everyone else folds.

Flop is A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

I bet $12, victim calls.

Turn is 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

I bet $25, victim calls.

River is 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

I bet $65, victim raises to $200, I double-check that I do indeed have the nuts, and push. Victim has K /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif. That's a nice $663.66 pot. My biggest pot ever at the 1/2 level. This hand really illustrates how effective it can be to charge people to draw dead.

Well I was UTG that hand, which makes me the BB on the next hand. Being the BB has some nice benefits, such as occasionally flopping the nuts with trash.

Four LAGs limp/complete and we lose my fellow rock. I see a free flop with J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and I triple-check that the flop does indeed come down T /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

SB checks, I bet $7, "victim" folds, and the new LAG at the table raises to $75. Now, this guy has made huge all-in raises preflop twice, once with AA and once with QJs. That's why I call him a LAG. So anyway, I don't know wtf his raise means, but I don't really care because I have the nuts. The SB calls all-in and I make a minor error. I actually min-reraised because I thought that was all I needed to do to put the LAG all-in. He actually still had about $115 left after his raise. But it didn't much matter because he folded.

SB has 92o and is drawing to a split pot and doesn't hit. I add another $125 to my stack.

And that's how I netted 4.5 buy-ins after breaking even on my first 1000 hands of the day.