PDA

View Full Version : Oddball

Gamblor
11-16-2004, 02:39 AM
$55 6 handed SNG on Stars

I'm chip leader with about T3000 on Button.

Cutoff (T1300) open limps for T50, I raise to T200 with AKo, CO calls.

2 to the flop for T450: 654 with two clubs.

CO bets T50.

What now?

pshreck
11-16-2004, 02:49 AM
If he has ANY PP other than 22 or 33, than you are in trouble. With that fact alone, I fold to his awful awful min raise.

The reason I dont call is because he may have a made hand already (hit a set) and I wont know how to make any real money if I peel off an Ace or King on the turn or river.

Your other option is to pop in a 300 chip reraise to see where he is at. If you are reraised you are done, and if you are just called you have to play it super cautiously ....

I favor just folding on the flop, despite folding to this awful min raise looks awful for your table image.

daryn
11-16-2004, 03:00 AM
when someone bets and then you elect to bet more, it's called a raise, not a reraise. why does this elude so many?

pshreck
11-16-2004, 03:02 AM
Where is this defined? Raise is correct... but reraise is not incorrect terminology if it is the second raise like in this situation.

If you can point me out to something showing me Im wrong please do so...

Irieguy
11-16-2004, 03:15 AM
"CO bets T50"

This is a min. bet, not a min. raise. If you were to raise here (which, by the way, you should) it would be a raise, not a reraise. The only way you can reraise is if there was already a raise during that round of betting.

While we're nitpicking... you don't have to put a "T" in front of chip values. There's nothing else that "CO bets 50" could mean. If one uses an abbreviation for something, it is meant to replace a more combersome terminology. "T" is an abbreviation for "tournament chips." But nobody ever needs to say "CO bet 50 tournament chips." So it's the abbreviation that becomes combersome in these cases... since the terminology the abbreviation is meant to replace is totally unnecessary and not customarily used in the first place.

Sorry for rambling... I got knocked out of 2 of my 8 tables and I'm bored.

Irieguy

pshreck
11-16-2004, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"CO bets T50"

This is a min. bet, not a min. raise. If you were to raise here (which, by the way, you should) it would be a raise, not a reraise. The only way you can reraise is if there was already a raise during that round of betting.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I don't think this is really defined. I play at Foxwoods often, and whenever I enter a pot (not calling), I announce raise. Other players do this too... you are raising the pot, not raising a player. If you are the second raiser, you are reraising the pot, not reraising a raise. I dont think its accurate to say that the first bet at a pot is not a raise... I think different people say bet or raise, but neither is wrong.

ChrisV
11-16-2004, 03:41 AM
Raise

"After someone has opened betting in a round, to increase the amount of the bet is to raise. For example, if the betting limit is $5 and player A bets $5, player B can fold, call the $5, or raise it to $10. Knowledgeable poker players sometimes get irritated when someone says raise to indicate an opening bet. But they usually know what you mean."

Taken from the Poker Dictionary (http://www.seriouspoker.com/dictionary.html#raise).

Using the terminology properly makes things a lot clearer for everyone. For example, if I am at a table and hear the player to my right announce "raise", I know it's two bets to me even if I haven't been following the hand. Also when telling a story, it's a lot easier to keep track of the action if you say "bet, raise, reraise" rather than "raise, reraise, reraise".

By the way, if by "when I enter a pot (not calling)" you mean preflop, then yes the term is "raise" because you are raising the level of the existing (blind) bet. When there is no existing bet level you're creating one with a bet.

Irieguy
11-16-2004, 03:49 AM
This is incorrect. You can help the folks in your Foxwoods game by quoting "The Official Dictionary of Poker" by Michael Wiesenburg:

Raise: To make a bet larger than the previous bet in a betting round.

Re-raise: To raise after a previous raise in the same betting round.

Irieguy

texasrattlers
11-16-2004, 04:27 AM
I either call or raise. At least at the lower levels (10-20) it seems some players feel obligated to put in a min bet when first to act in a raised pot. I don't know why. I don't think it implies any strength necessarily. I treat these min bets after the flop as a Check. A raise to say 200 and he could put you on high pocket pairs and fold. And you can get away from the hand relatively cheaply if he plays back.

Just the way I currently see things.

Irieguy: Thanks for clarifying that "T300" shorthand. I was wondering what that damn T was for but was afraid to ask. I agree it is not necessary since this is a SNG forum and the "T" should be implied.

spentrent
11-16-2004, 06:04 AM
I'd feel forced to raise that min bet, rather than call. So maybe he's baiting me to juice the pot with the nuts, but I can't afford the hit to my table image.

If you just call, you're asking to be bluffed off a winning hand when he bets the pot on the next card.

I like to think of my flop raise as "pre-ordering" the river card, since the turn will probably be checked to me. It's a two-cards-for-one blue light special.

spentrent
11-16-2004, 06:11 AM
Open-limping then calling from the CO smells like a pocket pair. Since he's opening so late, he has no need to narrow the field.

In that game, would you have raised almost any two cards in that situation?