PDA

View Full Version : Junk hands... Is there reason to play them?

damn_river
11-16-2004, 01:33 AM
Here is my situation...

10 player, $25 No Limit Hold'em ring game.
My Stack: $12.35
My Position: UG + 1 (early)
My Cards: As Kc

i raise the BB from $.25 to $.90. i am called by button, whose stack is $54.62.

(2 players) Flop: 7h Ah Tc

i bet $1.60 on $2.15 pot, called by button.

turn: 4s

i check, he bets $.25, i raise to $1.70, he reraises to $2.90 i call.

river: 8s

i check, he bets $5.50, i call.

He shows Td 7d, two pair.
Can it be correct to play a hand like my opponent's? Should I have called the river? Please give any other comments/suggestions about the hand that you may have.

Tilt
11-16-2004, 01:40 AM
The answer is yes, at 25NL on the button he can call your raise profitably. The reason is that he narrow your hands down considerably, knowing that if he hits a big hand he can get you to call alot. Its fishy, so people cant get away from their hands, giving trashier hands implied odds to call pre-flop.

My advice, at 25NL, dont overbet TPTK, dont raise with less than AA/KK (or raise much more often to disguise your hands), and be prepared to throw away less than 2pr at the river pretty easily. Wiat for the nuts and peddle it.

Ben
11-16-2004, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The answer is yes, at 25NL on the button he can call your raise profitably.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this 100%. Calling a raise junk like that is a tremendously negative play in my opinion.

At the loose NL25 games like this your raises will be called with trash, and that trash will occasionally win. The vast majority of the time however, you'll take it. You LOVE to see loose players like this, you'll make tons off them.

Whatever you do don't start playing like your opponent.

-Ben

edge
11-16-2004, 02:07 AM
In a reasonably deep stack game (150+ BB stacks?) you can get away with calling a smallish (like 3-4 BB) raise in position with a junk hand like 75s if you know your opponent overplays big pairs. In Party 50 BB stack games, it's not even worth limping in with those hands.

BobboFitos
11-16-2004, 06:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In a reasonably deep stack game (150+ BB stacks?) you can get away with calling a smallish (like 3-4 BB) raise in position with a junk hand like 75s if you know your opponent overplays big pairs. In Party 50 BB stack games, it's not even worth limping in with those hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if you're really really bored and your big pairs just got cracked repeatedly? Is it then ok to play 94o UTG + 1?

Biff M.
11-16-2004, 06:11 AM
What if you're really really bored and your big pairs just got cracked repeatedly? Is it then ok to play 94o UTG + 1?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you should push all-in for some fold equity, maybe?

BobboFitos
11-16-2004, 06:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice, the risk reward is so good. Pushing 50 to win 1.5 is such a sick play, right? Pos EV? Can someone do the EV calculations?

Snoogins47
11-16-2004, 08:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice, the risk reward is so good. Pushing 50 to win 1.5 is such a sick play, right? Pos EV? Can someone do the EV calculations?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can do the EV calculations.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
11-16-2004, 07:56 PM
I wouldnt call T7s junk. Tight-weaks should avoid this hand.

Brothernod
11-17-2004, 02:49 PM
The main reason he played that hand was because he had over 2 buyins in front of him. He may have weighed the fact that he had position on you. But most likely he was playing anything under $1.

When party players go up a lot they loosen up immensely.... and generally go down.

I like to prey on that. If you've got the stack and position I see nothing wrong with playing one gappers, suited connectors and low pocket pairs for preflop raises that are less than 5% of your stack against a deep stack or loose player. Isn't that the 5/10 rule everyone keeps mentioning.

That's pretty much my 6 max NL stategy. Find a table with someone with 3 - 4 buy ins and just stalk their stack. Play any implied odds hand when you've got position and their in the hand (assuming no large preflop raise, after all you gotta see a lot of implied odds hands before one hits). And to keep youself above the blinds play tight aggressive against the other players.

Back to your hand. AT is not an uncommon hand for people to play, especially for less than $1. So when he started pushing back I may have let go. Plus with your stack size you probably should have decided earlier if you were committed to the hand or not and gone all in or folded. When your stack is that low you need to be in All-in or fold mode cause you can't afford to make a reasonable preflop raise and push after the flop any more.