PDA

View Full Version : limit progression

mrwhippy
11-15-2004, 11:48 PM
I have played regularly now for 2+ years mainly online and in tourneys and am at the stage where I consistently win more than I lose. I also play in ring games...I started at 50c/$1 then moved up to $1/$2 where I began to consistently win. Feeling confident I moved up to the $2/$4 game and managed to lose approx $200 in about 10 hours of play (3 sittings). The two previous times I made a jump I also took a bit of adjusting time but not that much or with that sort of loss. The main thing I noticed was that the players actually seemed looser than at the lower levels (pacific 70% ave seeing flop) and as a result were around to catch draws regularly. Obviously the tourney ability to raise heavily when strong to prevent this is a factor but I was surprised how often people were willing to call with very little on, and pre flop.(I should also note that despite some of this obviously being game adjustment/leaks I also went through "one of those spells".Not making excuses...this probably only accounted for 25% of the total losses but its worth pointing out.)
Now, obviously one answer to the "what do I do about this?" question is stick to what youre winning but the master-plan was always to start low, win, and then use the bankroll to move up a level, start winning and so-on until I was playing "proper" poker ($15/$30 &$20/$40 limit). My results/returns ($1750 from initial $100 18 months ago) indicate that I am a pretty good player and I dont really want to abandon my larger strategy but I need to try and workout a way to navigate my way past this stumbling block.
Having read some other posts I am tempted to move directly past the $2/$4 game to the $3/$6 or even higher on the basis that the sums involved should make the play go a bit more like it should. My worry is obviously that if thats not the case then my adjustment losses could cripple my bankroll and force me back down the limits.
What do other 2+2ers think? is my rationale for limit skipping sound or would I be likely walking into a disaster? What other suggestions do people have for navigating my way profitably up the levels?
All thoughts appreciated. /images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Rubeskies
11-15-2004, 11:50 PM
(I added paragraphs at random for enhanced readablity)

I have played regularly now for 2+ years mainly online and in tourneys and am at the stage where I consistently win more than I lose. I also play in ring games...I started at 50c/$1 then moved up to $1/$2 where I began to consistently win.

Feeling confident I moved up to the $2/$4 game and managed to lose approx $200 in about 10 hours of play (3 sittings). The two previous times I made a jump I also took a bit of adjusting time but not that much or with that sort of loss. The main thing I noticed was that the players actually seemed looser than at the lower levels (pacific 70% ave seeing flop) and as a result were around to catch draws regularly.

Obviously the tourney ability to raise heavily when strong to prevent this is a factor but I was surprised how often people were willing to call with very little on, and pre flop.(I should also note that despite some of this obviously being game adjustment/leaks I also went through "one of those spells".Not making excuses...this probably only accounted for 25% of the total losses but its worth pointing out.)

Now, obviously one answer to the "what do I do about this?" question is stick to what youre winning but the master-plan was always to start low, win, and then use the bankroll to move up a level, start winning and so-on until I was playing "proper" poker ($15/$30 &$20/$40 limit). My results/returns ($1750 from initial $100 18 months ago) indicate that I am a pretty good player and I dont really want to abandon my larger strategy but I need to try and workout a way to navigate my way past this stumbling block.
Having read some other posts I am tempted to move directly past the $2/$4 game to the $3/$6 or even higher on the basis that the sums involved should make the play go a bit more like it should.

My worry is obviously that if thats not the case then my adjustment losses could cripple my bankroll and force me back down the limits.
What do other 2+2ers think? is my rationale for limit skipping sound or would I be likely walking into a disaster? What other suggestions do people have for navigating my way profitably up the levels?
All thoughts appreciated.

ErrantNight
11-15-2004, 11:52 PM
you'll get flogged for starting another one of these posts without searching around for the (many) others like it...

but to summarize: the highest level of game you can beat profitably, you should play. however, if you can't beat (for example) 2/4, you're not going to be able to beat 3/6. as the limits get higher, so does the difficulty. bankroll is an important factor in determining what level you should play at, along with skill.

did i miss anything?

Harv72b
11-16-2004, 12:07 AM
I've also noticed that 2/4 play is generally a lot more aggressive than 1/2, which means those of us who fell into a weak/passive mode at the lower level have to adjust. I'm still working on finding the proper equillibrium on that (but, thankfully, haven't lost money doing so...yet).

mrwhippy
11-16-2004, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(I added paragraphs at random for enhanced readablity)

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I correct in thinking that's a joke? If so what is it?

bisonbison
11-16-2004, 02:57 AM
you'll get flogged for starting another one of these posts without searching around for the (many) others like it...

You mean the ones he started in at least two other forums?

Rubeskies
11-16-2004, 02:59 AM
Your original post was just really hard to read because it was all one big block. I helped it out by adding paragraphs.

mrwhippy
11-16-2004, 03:12 AM
No Rubeskies, you added gaps not paragraphs.The paragraphs were already there, thank you very much.

Rubeskies
11-16-2004, 03:15 AM
Sorry, I added gaps. Whatever. Whatever you call it, it's much easier to read if you put space in between blocks of prose.

mrwhippy
11-16-2004, 03:15 AM
Didnt know where it really fit which is why I multi-posted it....also wasnt prepared to spend that long typing and risk getting bumped straight away with no answer. Is that unreasonable?

bisonbison
11-16-2004, 03:23 AM
You posted it all over the place and didn't bother waiting for replies before posting it elsewhere. You're a true american hero.

bobdibble
11-16-2004, 03:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're a true american hero.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.greatestamericanhero.com/images/publicity/kattcolor.jpg

gaming_mouse
11-16-2004, 03:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No Rubeskies, you added gaps not paragraphs.The paragraphs were already there, thank you very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get mad. Your original post IS hard to read. Adding the paragraphs (or gaps) make it more readable.

scrub
11-16-2004, 05:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Don't get mad. Your original post IS hard to read. Adding the paragraphs (or gaps) make it more readable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah. I opened your post on mid/high because a couple of people I respect had responded to it. I got about half a sentence in before stopping and skipping to people making fun of you.

With "gaps," I made it all the way until the third text block.

scrub

daveymck
11-16-2004, 06:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You posted it all over the place and didn't bother waiting for replies before posting it elsewhere. You're a true american hero.

[/ QUOTE ]

He isnt american he is a stupid Geordie and its what I expect from him to be honest.

Only those of us from south of the river in Gods country understand the true stupidity of the geordie nation, but you are seeing an example of it here.

In all seriousness I think spending some time at each limit is worth doing even if for a minimum number of hands, although as we get to higher limits people seem to then say oh 3/6 is just as easy as 2/4, maybe it is but in the stage of development at that time 2/4 and 3/6 are a different animal and worth spending time at each.

FTM