PDA

View Full Version : Study Group Looking for New 5-handed tables

08-26-2002, 07:55 PM
Ultimatebet.com recently changed their 5-handed play money tables to 6-handed. I think this has had a negative impact on our short-handed study group and would like to find a new site for the group. What sites has 5-handed play money hold'em tables?

08-27-2002, 05:54 AM

08-27-2002, 05:58 AM
this is a great site to hold our study group. It's javascript so there is no download required and it runs very well....

About the study group sessions, I'll be honest with you, I don't like how they are going, most people who play are not taking the game seriously, I've seen some really horrible plays. If you guys are not going to take it seriously than please do not bother showing up. Don't come unless you are really there to learn.

-Mikey

08-27-2002, 09:23 AM
I'd like to make one suggestion for whatever site we use -- it should have no "turbo" or other quick-action feature. I think part of the reason some may feel we're not getting the most out of the study sessions is that we really can't talk about the hands. On UB, the hands go by so quickly that people forget what they had or why they played a certain way because we're already four hands down the road by the time the discussion gets started.

08-27-2002, 02:00 PM
You should post some hands if you think they were misplayed. Then everyone could analyze/learn from them.

08-27-2002, 08:43 PM
How does your study group work? Im curious. Sounds interesting.

08-27-2002, 11:32 PM
Currently we play/practice our short-handed play Mondays at 7:30pm EDT on the Ultimate-Bet play tables. Usually table 8. But we don't like it and we will probably change for next week.

Check out this forum later in the week, Dynasty will post something.

The idea is too play your best short-handed play and to improve. So make sure you take it seriously.

08-28-2002, 01:44 AM
I looked at pokerroom.com. It certainly isn't flashy, but it does have five-player max play money tables, so I think it should do. I do like that they have a reduced-graphics version for those of us with slow connections. I also like that there isn't any software to load. I find it odd that when it goes to heads-up, the big blind is on the button. I think that other sites have this same bug, and it is a bug. If you push your game to the background, it still makes the sounds to remind you that you're in the game. This is different from other sites, and I like it. It will let you know when it's your turn, but it doesn't bring the game to the foreground, and that I don't like. I think it's worth trying.

As for the suggestion that some of us were not taking the study session sufficiently seriously, and I think that I was included in that statement, I would like to point out that I do some moderately crazy things in short-handed cash games as well, and I've been pretty successful overall. I do much better in short-handed hold'em games than I do in full hold'em games. Not that it means a whole lot, but I did win $2700 or so last night, so I think I might have done something right. I did win the 2+2 heads-up championship in 2001, and along the way I played some crazy hands that got there and, I think, put people on tilt. I don't think that the occasional crazy play should be dismissed out-of-hand. I think that a certain amount of bluster can be extremely effective in short-handed situations, particularly short-term.

Perhaps I should lay off the beer while I'm participating, but a guy has to drink some time, and I'm certainly not going to do it during the $30/60 stud/8 game at Canterbury Park.

08-28-2002, 05:39 AM
"..I would like to point out that I do some moderately crazy things in short-handed cash games as well,.."

I totally agree with you. Like to point out a hand to illustrate.

I had 87s on the button. UTG limped in, I called, and BB checked.

Now UTG was extremely aggressive preflop, and very tricky postflop, but could also lay down something. So quite a good player, but too aggressive I guess.

Flop comes AAT twotone. BB checks, UTG bets, I raise, BB folds, UTG 3-bets, I call.

Turn is an innocent offsuit 3.

UTG bets, I raise, he calls. Remember still I've 87.

River is another blank. He checks, I bet, he folds.

Now what do you think he would have thought if he called????!!!

I played this hand this way, because I was certain he couldnt have the ace; he would raise any ace preflop. So a flushdraw, a T or a total bluff (which he was capable of on this kind of boards) where other possibilities. Now that crazy little thing earned me a lot. But yeah, sometimes I do the same thing, go by my read, and am wrong, but hit something on the river and win. People think I'm ccccrrrraaazzzzeeyyyy [grin]

Good post.

Regards

P.S. I might join those groups as well, although the time when they're held is quite uncomfortable for me (I'm European).

08-28-2002, 11:47 AM
"Perhaps I should lay off the beer while I'm participating, but a guy has to drink some time"

Now, that's crazy talk. Besides, how's anybody gonna know?

I need to quit reading 2+2 while I'm playing.

08-28-2002, 02:39 PM
"I need to quit reading 2+2 while I'm playing."

Well, gosh, if you're not even going to give the game your full attention, you shouldn't complain about anyone who you think is not treating the exercise "seriously."

/images/smile.gif

08-29-2002, 06:29 AM
where from, Ikke?

Berlin?

Greets, Erd.

PS: near Koblenz, Germany

08-29-2002, 10:38 AM
Last week I wrote MSSunshine b/c he put together the HUHE tourney on Pokerstars. He referred to me to the pokerroom mangager. I just received a response today and they said they would like to accomodate us!

I am asking them to put together 2-3 Five handed play money tables, hopefully password protected, for the times that we play.

I told them we play Mondays from 7:30 pm eastern till whenever, but I don't recall when y'all play Wednesdays /images/tongue.gif. Seriously, someone please refresh my recollection so I can get this moving.

Thanks!

08-29-2002, 03:55 PM
Hammuh,

E-mail me about this. I have some information that you are not aware of.