PDA

View Full Version : KK on button

08-26-2002, 11:54 AM
5/10 5 max at Paradise.

UTG (reasonable tight, for the rest nothing special) limps in, and I raise on the button with red KK.

SB, a very loose, fishy player coldcalls. BB folds, UTG calls.

3 handed, 6 SB.

Flop Q62 with two hearts.

SB leads out, UTG calls, I call.

Turn is an offsuit T.

SB bets, UTG calls, I raise and both call.

River is another offsuit T, checked to me, I bet and only SB calls.

Comments?

Regards

08-26-2002, 02:07 PM
You have the option of trying to get into a raising war on the flop, as many opponents will play top pair with their foot to the floor. This works especially well if they have seen you raise for free cards recently and hit. Then, you can just call the three bet and pop it again on the turn, although you probably lose UTG in the process. Also, there is the risk that the bettor is bluffing and will not bet again on the turn when he finds two callers on the flop.

I think you should usually raise on the flop, but I like the way you played this hand.

Mike

08-27-2002, 12:48 AM
Your play is perfect for cold calling fish who may bet flush draws but who aren't agressive raisers.

Cold calling fish do not generally 4 bet flops, with just top pair or a flush draw, unless they are quite agressive. You couldn't make more money on this hand if you tried.

Even if they reraised your raise(unlikely) given their pre-flop play they aren't going to do that unless you are beaten already or some highly agressive players who misplay flush draws.

Since the heart didn't come on the turn you are in perfect position to make any flush draws pay the maximum for drawing to a flush. With position your slowplay on the flop is warranted in this situation.

This is a very easy hand to play, I only assume your question was how to extract the maximum from these opponents and I'd say you played it that way.

08-28-2002, 08:08 AM
"I think you should usually raise on the flop, ..."

I agree with you. The main reason why I posted this hand was under what circumstances would you raise the flop, and when to raise the turn? For instance, does the presence of the flushdraw change things? What if the 6 was a 9 or a T? Does that affect your strategy?

That were about the questions that popped in mind when I played the hand. What do you think?

Regards