PDA

View Full Version : Some Similar 99 Hands

josh1122
11-15-2004, 10:25 PM
I honestly had no clue how to play these hands in these similar spots, especially when played back at. In hand 1, I call down a passive fishy-type after a checkraise, in hand 2, I bet into a solid preflop raiser, and in hand 3
I try to checkraise but that is also no good. Yuck, Yuck, Yuck. What is your line on all of these similar hands?

Hand 1

Villian here has 40%VP, and is very passive postflop
Hero is SB with 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Preflop: All folds to CO who limps, Hero Raises, SB and BB fold, CO calls

Flop: J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Hero Bets, CO raises, hero calls

Turn:6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
hero check/calls

River T /images/graemlins/heart.gif
hero check/calls

Hand 2

BB here is 26VP and passive postflop
No reads on CO
MP1 is solid 20VP and has decent aggression

Hero is SB with 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Preflop: Folds to MP1 who limps, CO raises, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls, and MP1 calls

Flop: 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif
Hero bets, BB calls, CO raises, Hero Calls, BB calls

Turn: T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Hero checks, BB bets, CO raises, Hero folds

Hand 3

UTG+1 is 34VP with high postflop aggression
MP2 is 45VP and passive postflop

Hero is SB with 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Preflop: UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO(poster) checks, Button calls, Hero raises, BB folds, All call except CO

Flop: K /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, Button folds, Hero raises, UTG+1 3bets, MP2 folds, Hero calls

Turn: A /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets, Hero folds

joker122
11-15-2004, 10:40 PM
hand 1: given your read, i would fold to his flop raise.

hand 2: i don't see what betting the flop does for you here. you're behind pretty much any hand CO will raise with expect for AQ/AJ, and you have an underpair in a multiway pot. when you call preflop with this hand in this spot you are either looking to flop a set or an overpair.

if you want to make a play at this flop, CR the CO on the flop and confront BB and MP with 2 bets. i would just check fold though. if it got checked to CO and he bet, and button folded, I might consider raising though.

Hand 3: i would have bet the flop, but i actually think you took a pretty good line with this one. with your read on UTG+1 raising his bet is a definite...were you planning on folding if someone other than him bet?

josh1122
11-15-2004, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hand 2: i don't see what betting the flop does for you here. you're behind pretty much any hand CO will raise with expect for AQ/AJ, and you have an underpair in a multiway pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, thanks. Like I said yuck.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 3: i would have bet the flop, but i actually think you took a pretty good line with this one. with your read on UTG+1 raising his bet is a definite...were you planning on folding if someone other than him bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily, I was planning a checkraise and lead the turn if anyone from LP openbet. Not sure what I would have done if it went bet from UTG then all calls. What do you think of folding to the 3bet on the flop here?

joker122
11-15-2004, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of folding to the 3bet on the flop here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't. You're getting 18:1 on a 23:1 shot. You have tremendous implied odds against a player like this, and you could still have the best hand.

edit - also, what's the limit/location?

josh1122
11-16-2004, 12:09 AM
Party 3/6

"and you may still have the best hand"
Irregardless of if I have the best hand or not, I am still check/folding the turn unimproved, right? Am I missing something else here? (BTW I call this bet 100% of the time this was just a thought)

cov47
11-16-2004, 01:13 AM
Hand one I probably fold to the flop raise. There's a part of me that likes your line since I know a lot of fishy players love to bluff at the paired boards and I'm tempted to play policeman. But you're behind any jack or deuce now, and there are two diamonds on the flop. And any high card after this point can't make you feel too good. If you are ahead, all you can get out of a passive player is a couple calls.

Hand two I can't see the purpose in the flop bet. MP1 did disappear from the hand description, so maybe it scared him. If nobody has a king or two clubs you have a slim chance to take the pot, but if someone does I think you just wasted a couple bucks. Again I probably just fold this flop, but if I do decide I want to make a play at it I think I'd hope for a situation where I can checkraise and isolate someone who's on a draw or bluffing.

Hand three, why the preflop raise out of the SB? I'd rather just complete and hope to flop a set and win a monster. It's obviously too late for you to get this heads up or three handed so I'd rather invite the BB and poster in. As you raised, after the flop you have middle pair, and given the volume of the pot I think you either check/fold or checkraise.

joker122
11-16-2004, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Irregardless of if I have the best hand or not, I am still check/folding the turn unimproved, right? Am I missing something else here? (BTW I call this bet 100% of the time this was just a thought)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, usually you will be folding the turn unimproved. Basically you are looking to spike a 9 or see him check it through.