PDA

View Full Version : Small Pocket Pairs

grouchie
11-15-2004, 09:34 PM
Just curious how to play small pocket pairs.

Now, the way I play them is I'll call a small raise with them. If i trip up, come over top of the guy betting/raising.
If they do not hit then it is very easy to get away from them post flop.

Now, my question is, is this a good way to play them?
Should i be folding them more pre-flop because they are weak?

Just curious because tonight on a party 25 table a guy raised to 2 or 3 bucks and I called with pocket 4's.
I tripped up on the flop and ended up taking alot from him when he went all in after the flop (one other guy called as well and i got a nice triple up).

the guy then spent time berating me because i beat his pocket kings and called with sucha stupid hand.

any advice, criticizm, etc appreciated.

beta1607
11-15-2004, 09:44 PM
Generally speaking your line seems correct. The only suggestions that I have would be to raise with small pairs in late position in an unraised pot which will accomplish two things. First it will make the pot larger allowing you to bet more when you flop your set and win more money, the second thing is it will signal strength and so even if you dont hit you can bet out from late position if it is checked to you and often win the pot right there getting other under pairs to fold. This is just my opinion and it has been profitable for me although I am sure there are other ways to play them.

grouchie
11-15-2004, 10:04 PM
I have slowly been trying to work the late raise (only if unraised to me) in lately and so far it's been working well

edge
11-15-2004, 10:10 PM
Pocket pairs and suited connectors will win you the biggest pots. If you know your opponent has a premium hand, a small pocket pair is the best hand to call him with, because you can hit a set and bust him for his stack. If you miss your set, it's an easy fold on the flop. However, with Party's 50 BB stacks, you don't really want to call a raise over about 3-4 BB.

fireman664
11-15-2004, 11:37 PM
I stick with the 5%-10% rule when calling raises with small/medium pocket pairs. Less than 5% of my stack(or his, whichever is smaller) easy call. Raised more than 10% of the stack size, easy fold. In between is based on position and reads.

I agree with the sometimes raising unraised pots from late position with them. It can buy you the button, you can bet any ace or king flop, and take down alot of them, and if your called, you can get a free card by checking behind on the turn.