PDA

View Full Version : Too aggressive w/ 3 players?

texasrattlers
11-15-2004, 09:27 PM
Stars $10. 3 players left. BB(100).

Villain(button) ~2700
SB ~6200
Hero(BB) ~3600

Hero dealt:

A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif

Villain opens to 400, SB folds, Hero all in.

Villain had been playing very aggressively, raising many pots pre-flop and betting post-flop. I noticed his loose style, and the previous hand I raised him to 300 from SB w/KJ, he called, I bet 300 at ATx flop, he re-raised, and I went all in and he folded (risky but it worked). So, I did not respect his 400 raise the next hand holding AT, so I went over the top again. He called w/ 22 and Hero gets no help from board.

Did I play this too aggresively? Is a call here the better play?

A J Carisse
11-15-2004, 09:46 PM
I like this play myself. If he calls you down and wins, you've still got a decent shot at him. Since he just limped in, he probably doesn't have that strong of a hand. Make him pay for it.

A.J. (promoted to a newbie now woo-hoo /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

texasrattlers
11-15-2004, 10:02 PM
Careful about a demotion /images/graemlins/wink.gif He didn't limp in ... he raised me in BB(100) to 400

ChrisV
11-15-2004, 11:57 PM
Super standard. You don't want to be calling here because you are out of position against an aggressive player. In the event he has, say, a worse ace and you both flop nothing, you will have trouble not being forced out of the pot. If he has a dominating ace, that's life.

pshreck
11-16-2004, 12:04 AM
This is not super standard. You have 36 BB's, not <10 like most times when you are this far in a tourney. I think this is a cold call. If you think there is a chance he is capable of calling all his chips with Ax then a push would be good... but that would be an awful call by him. It just feels like you are in a coinflip or worse situation.... but this is player dependant.

Just letting you know there is no standard play here when you have 36 bb's... thats deep enough for poker to be played.

serling
11-16-2004, 01:52 AM
It being a $10, I wouldn't expect him to make this play, however...

Let's say he remembered when you pushed on his reraise with the ATx flop and he's pegging *you* as very aggressive.

Might he do something similar this time by betting 4x with a strong pocket pair (TT-AA), hoping you reraise or raise him all-in so that he could gladly call?

This is what I would be afraid of, that he wants a caller, from either chip leader and/or you.

And I'm folding. (A bigger blind, and I'd also be pushing.)

serling

raptor517
11-16-2004, 01:57 AM
pshreck is 100% correct. call it, if u miss, fold. blinds are incredibly small for 3 handed, and u have a lot of time to work, wait for a better spot.

poboys
11-16-2004, 07:21 PM
I agree--I think pushing is way to risky here. There are too many hands that you are a dog or coinflip in to risk that many chips. You'd only be happy if he was on a steal or raising k-q or worse. Personally, I'd fold, give up 1/36th of my stack and find a better place to attack.

Also, I call could work if your opponent please weak-tight after the flop. In low-limit SnG buy ins, many players fall into the category of aggressive to maniacs pre-flop and complete doormats post-flop. If you have such a read, then I'd play "the flop hit me, not you" game and see how he reacts.

apoca3k
11-17-2004, 06:26 AM
hmm interesting situation

you call and he will probably raise on the flop with pretty much anything if an ace or king doesnt drop - so if you dont hit your ace or your ten you'll probably have to fold give him a nice win.
put in a large reraise and your putting him on the back foot and not risking your whole stack. he may fold or go all in depending on how much of a maniac he is. i doubt he would call personnally if he is super aggressive.
fold and you havent lost much then you can look to trap him later as you have rewarded his over aggressive play. If you get a semi decent run you can take him out quickly by letting him overbet his poor hands.

so i say fold!! get aggressive with the table because your in the last three and check to the aggressive player to get him to bluff at the pot if you have top pair or better.