PDA

View Full Version : What's the best (somewhat healthy) way to eat baked potatoes?

eric5148
11-15-2004, 08:55 PM
I want a good baked potato, but without butter, sour cream, or a butter substitute. Any ideas? Please, no smartass replys like "butter and sour cream are very healthy," cuz they're not.

daryn
11-15-2004, 08:56 PM
add a little salt and eat it.

eric5148
11-15-2004, 09:01 PM
Dry, with just salt? Ick.

ThaSaltCracka
11-15-2004, 09:02 PM
my grandma puts a litte bit of butter and salt and pepper on hers. Probably can't get healthier with some taste than that.

Demana
11-15-2004, 09:10 PM
Scrub the skin
Rub it with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder
Wrap it in tin foil
Bake it (or throw it in a fire)

Best done with a smaller potato since you will get full flavor in every bite.

Mano
11-15-2004, 09:13 PM
I like loading it up with tobasco sauce (though a little butter and sour cream does add quite a bit).

daryn
11-15-2004, 09:24 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Dry, with just salt? Ick.

[/ QUOTE ]

well shoot, you're the puss that didn't want to put anything good on it /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bukem_
11-15-2004, 09:26 PM
Cheese and salsa

degenerategambler
11-15-2004, 09:50 PM
cut potato into cubes roughly 1" square, toss with a liberal quantity of high quality extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with herbs de provence, fresh cracked pepper and sea salt. Bake in shallow dish for up to one hour at 375 degrees. Not a classic baker but really freakin good.

Edge34
11-15-2004, 10:17 PM
OK, I'm gonna have to ask...

Herbs de provence? I actually kinda like to cook, but I have no friggin' clue what this means. Help a guy out?

-Edge

Reef
11-15-2004, 10:37 PM
just use that fake butter and fake sour cream stuff. It may not taste as good as the real thing, but its a lot better than plain.

wacki
11-15-2004, 10:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
just use that fake butter and fake sour cream stuff. It may not taste as good as the real thing, but its a lot better than plain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, I was just about to post this.

You can also try fake butter, dill, garlic, and a little olive oil. Garlic potatos that won't kill ya.

eric5148
11-15-2004, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
cut potato into cubes roughly 1" square, toss with a liberal quantity of high quality extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with herbs de provence, fresh cracked pepper and sea salt. Bake in shallow dish for up to one hour at 375 degrees. Not a classic baker but really freakin good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, that sounds good, I'll try that.

The rest of you guys sound like you eat what those Texas death row inmates ate for their last meal.

eric5148
11-15-2004, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK, I'm gonna have to ask...

Herbs de provence? I actually kinda like to cook, but I have no friggin' clue what this means. Help a guy out?

[/ QUOTE ]

herbes de Provence
[EHRB duh proh-VAWN , S]
An assortment of dried herbs said to reflect those most commonly used in southern France. The blend can be found packed in tiny clay crocks in the spice section of large supermarkets. The mixture commonly contains BASIL, FENNEL seed, LAVENDER, MARJORAM, ROSEMARY, SAGE, summer SAVORY and THYME. The blend can be used to season dishes of meat, poultry and vegetables.

craig r
11-15-2004, 11:29 PM
Doesn't fake butter and sour cream have partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (trans fat) in it? if so, that stuff may be worse than saturated fats.

craig

Blarg
11-15-2004, 11:41 PM
Steam or better yet cook in a pressure cooker, with herbs and spices. Both methods enclose the volatile oils of the herbs and spices with the potatoes, as they cook, permeating the flesh and amplifying the taste. Try rosemary or thyme; both are very aromatic and lend a lot of flavor.

Try mixing some flavorful vegetables in. Steamed sprouts-- the thick ones, not the little alfalfa sprouts -- develop a lot of rich flavor when steamed. Mushrooms and eggplant become very flavorful too. Pressure-cooking magnifies it, again, much more.

If you really want to take the time, do things the Indian way, with some onions. Don't flash-fry them the way we usually do in the States; cook them at a low-medium heat for a long time until they caramelize very evenly. If you keep the heat just right, you won't need to use much oil or Pam or whatever in the pan. The flavor really concentrates if you cook them for a long time. 20 or 30 minutes should do it, and the low heat means you don't have to spend much time watching them cook.

A warmed sauce of soy sauce, olive oil, garlic, and lots of black pepper is a very flavorful, spicy topping for vegetable dishes.

eric5148
11-15-2004, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't fake butter and sour cream have partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (trans fat) in it? if so, that stuff may be worse than saturated fats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and yes.

namknils
11-16-2004, 12:52 AM
Cheese and Broccoli

Ray Zee
11-16-2004, 02:39 AM
find a healthy yogurt you like and use that. after a few times you may prefer it to the grease.

or make an organic tofu based gravy. healthy and tastes like the real stuff.

Diplomat
11-16-2004, 02:52 AM
I have some that is olive-oil based, so 0 trans fats...I still almost never use it, I always always use olive oil when cooking.

-Diplomat

Blarg
11-16-2004, 02:54 AM
I like tofu fine, Ray, mostly because it's so good for you and blends into things so invisibly, like salads, pasta, etc. I've never heard of tofu gravy.

Do you have a favorite tofu gravy recipe, or any suggestions on the best way to make it? I'm not even sure where to begin -- I'm used to thinking of gravy as being made from drippings and fond scraped from the pan, and thickened with flour or flour and butter.

Diplomat
11-16-2004, 02:55 AM
Yogurt and some Chives, the way to go. I also like to fry some onions in olive oil and put them on top with the yogurt.

-Diplomat

Ulysses
11-16-2004, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yogurt and some Chives, the way to go. I also like to fry some onions in olive oil and put them on top with the yogurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try using some shallots, either sliced and fried or chopped up raw.

beerbandit
11-16-2004, 10:48 AM
ive eaten them before with some ketchup

not as good as butter and sour cream --- but better than plain thats for sure

cheers
beer

Lawrence Ng
11-16-2004, 10:53 AM
Salt, pepper, some light garlic powder. Or use flavoring seasonings for a real kick without the calories. Yum.

nicky g
11-16-2004, 10:59 AM
"Please, no smartass replys like "butter and sour cream are very healthy," cuz they're not. "

They aren't very healthy but they aren;t going to do you much harm if you eat them occasionally and moderately. If you live off baked potatoes, I see your dilemma.

heavybody
11-16-2004, 01:48 PM
I have always enjoyed a baked potato when it has sat in the refrigerator overnight and develops a wonderful waxy texture. I eat it "as is" with no embellishments.

turnipmonster
11-16-2004, 02:05 PM
I've had baked potatoes with bbq sauce and they are pretty good, as are mixing in baked beans.

--turnipmonster

theBruiser500
11-16-2004, 02:11 PM
salsa

Boris
11-16-2004, 02:12 PM
ketchup and tabasco sauce.